Washing nappies in cold water

My avatar
adegar80
Clothie
Clothie

Washing nappies in cold water

Postby adegar80 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:35 pm

Hi all!
I'm new to this forum and not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'm hoping someone can advise me.
I'm doing full-time cloth nappies and getting on really well with them. However, I'm going back to my home country for 6 weeks next year and over there we just don't wash with hot water. I know it sounds weird but washing machines aren't even set up for it at all.
I wonder if that's going to be a problem for my nappies and if they will be properly cleaned in cold water.
Has anyone come across the same situation? Shall I be boiling water to wash them the old fashioned way or is there anything else I can do (apart from temporarily switching to disposables which I'd rather not do!).
Thanks for your advice!

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Washing nappies in cold water

Postby gilbertandmartha » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:42 pm

What country are you going to? There are lots of us spread out all over here, maybe someone lives there and can give you some answers

My avatar
Mumof5
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Mumof5 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:22 pm

Depends on the nappies, but I would stick to terries, wash thoroughly in cold water then put them in boiling water to get rid of any germs. Dunno if that would work, but that's what I'd try.

My avatar
adegar80
Clothie
Clothie

Postby adegar80 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:36 pm

Thanks, I'm going to Colombia. Not too keen on terries though. Never used them before but wouldn't want to start just for that trip. I'm using AIO's but I guess I could boil them too...
Any other ideas welcome!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:32 pm

Here in Australia a lot of people wash in cold water only, I've seen people talking about washing thier nappies on cold with no issues. I wouldn't 'boil' your nappies as that would spoil the elastic. My suggestion would be to maybe add some nappisan style stuff to the wash for the germs, or tea tree oil or if you can't get that then soak them in a 60 degree tub every couple of washes.

@adegar80

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict
Site Supporter

Postby Little Pants » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:36 am

Nappy Sanitising powder was first invented so that nappies could be washed in cold water. There are various ones available now, and although I wouldn't touch the original Napisan, I do sometimes use the BioD Nappy Fresh.

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:18 am

Depending on what nappies you are using I'd wet pail them with a nappy sanitiser and then wash on cold using powder anadromous some more sanitiser.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat