New to cloth.help!

My avatar
sarahjane
Clothie
Clothie

New to cloth.help!

Postby sarahjane » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:55 pm

Hi
My first baby is due in february and I have started buying cloth nappies.
I've ordered a combination of all sorts!
5 LL bamboo
2 trial packs from tots bots (each one contains 1xteeny fit, 1xeasy fit, 1xbamboozle stretch and 1xwrap)
4 easy peasy bimble
2 easy peasy bumble
2 motherease
2 nature babies wraps
1 x mother ease wrap

Anyway......I have a question or two...OK maybe three!

1) when folding the poppers on an AIO nappy to make it smaller for a newborn, do you point the folded bit inside upwards or downwards...does that make sense?

2) I know this is sad but as it's my first baby I'm clueless! I looked in to how much a newborn wees. It says approx three tablespoons. I poured that amount of water on the nappy (the 2 part, not AIO) and it soaks right through to the other side. If this is the case then don't I need to change the wrap every time I change a nappy? I ask this as everywhere I've looked it says I only need 4 or 5 wraps but if I had to change it every time then I would need as many wraps as nappies.

3) All of the nappies I've bought seem really bulky...are there any that aren't so bulky?

Thanks in advance!
Sarah

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: New to cloth.help!

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:01 am

Hi SarahJane Welcome to the tree, and to the delights of motherhood :loopy:

Looks like you've got a nice little stash there, some great choices. Some andswers to your questions

1. When I fold the poppers I point the folded bit in and down. So you would use the bottom poppers to snap into the top row then fold the flap bit down.

2. 3 tablespoons sounds like a lot to me, for each wee. I'd honestly think it was a lot less than that. But who knows! Anyway couple of things, have you prepped your nappies? That is washing them 3 or 4 times and drying inbetween? You need to do that before using to get the absorbancy going.

But in answer to needing to change the wrap. No you don't, as long as its just damp on the inside then its fine to re-use. If its got poop on or in the VERY VERY unlikely event that it gets totally sodden (if you left a baby in one nappy for a day kind of sodden) then you would change it. But with a newborn you'll probably change before or after every feed so some people will even just leave a newborn in the fitted nappy without a wrap because the outside never gets totally wet.

3. They all seem bulky to start with. You are used to seeing disposables which are super thin, but after a few days of holding your little one with a great big fat bum you'll think its odd when (or if) they wear a disposable.

hope this helps

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby confusinglady » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:02 am

I agree with what Amanda says ^^^^

Also most nappies will be bulky on a newborn (dependent on their weight), some of those nappies might not fit straight away or for a few weeks. There are tiny tiny newborn nappies you can get but you d need to get lots for just a few weeks. The teeny fits are good. And I think most find they fit newborns well. Flat nappies ie good ole terry squares are fab for bulking out your stash. You may not grab them first and they are bulky but they fit any shape and size baby and dry very quickly in comparison to other fitteds or aios :thumbsup:

If the wrap gets damp, just air it inbetween so swap the wrap but not necessarily wash it straight away.

Good luck with your baby :thumbsup: very exciting!!!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:25 am

You can buy XS nappies which look super trim but they dont last long Leon was 9lb 4 and was in XS for a couple of days :shock: His small nappies lasted a couple of weeks! Izzy was 8lbs and was in size 1s and terry squares. They were bulky but still looked sooooooo cute

My avatar
Mumof5
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Mumof5 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:58 am

With Motherease, you fold the top over and out, so that you then use the 'inside' poppers to fasten the nappy on the outside, does that make sense?

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:23 am

I do it differently to Amanda. I popper the all in ones up and then fold the flap up. I found ot fitted my boys better that waybut that might just be my boys.

Cloth is great because of the flexibility. Have a play and see what you like best. There often isn't a wrong way.

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby sim » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:54 am

Welcome :wave:

Good advice already from the ladies.

I loved my LL bamboos (I'm still shoehorning my nearly 8month old into the size ones as his morning poo-catcher nappy :hohoho: I really must sell his size 1s and get some size 2s!) as they are really adjustable and easy to get a good fit at the legs.

Re the three tablespoons, remember also that a newborn isn't going to pee that much in one go - they wee little and often - so the wee has time to spread out in the fabric rather than soak through like it would if you poured that much on in one go.

It sounds like you have a good selection there. I'd consider getting some terry squares in to bulk out you newborn stash and then see how you get on with the nappies you have - not all nappies suit the shape and size of all babies and then get in more of the type that suit your LO if you need more.

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:09 pm

I used to alternate twin wraps in a day swapping at each change and leaving to air dry inbetween unless poopy or soaked through to the other side.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat