hf1

Cheap Chinese nappies!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Cheap Chinese nappies!

Postby ems101 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:56 pm

I noticed an article about the ethical considerations of cheapies. I didnt have tge time to read it but I do wonder what it was saying. Working conditions? Pay? Carbon footprint? Longevity of the materials?

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:18 pm

A lot of the people over here used cheapies. The FSOT threads are full of them, so there is defintely a market.

I do know what you mean though @ems101 but don't the majority of disposables come from China? - i know that's not really a good argument. I suppose I would care more about the working conditions etc. but sometimes its just easier to bury your head in the sand and know that you are doing good in one aspect.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:41 pm

I agree @gilbertandmartha its really hard to get everything right. You can only do what you can do. We are lucky in the uk, there are plenty of cheapish local brands, but as @clothmama said there are places in the world where cloth is very expensive. I dont know what experts would consider more ethical, sposies or cheap cloth. Its really hard to know tge truth of working conditions. Look at tge recent prim*rk fiasco

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:46 pm

In reality its just the same argument as the costs involved both environmental and financial with making bamboo fabric vs dispos, or the costs etc involved with washing.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:26 pm

Absolutely you have a great point Ems and I was actually going to ask my favorite once I decide which I prefer before I buy more as I'm really curious about the factory conditions, I'd hate to think that a child is making my nappies for my baby. I think the reality in China is not perhaps as bad as we think in modern factories, different story out in the rural areas from what I understand. I'll let you know what the reply that I get about the subject is! In terms of carbon footprint and longevity of materials I'd say that there are a huge percentage of non Chinese made nappies that source their materials from China - it is the biggest textile maker in the world, particularly bamboo I'm not sure I've even seen it made elsewhere. So even nappies that are made close to home for you guys may well be made with material sourced from China to start with. For me to buy something from the UK and have it shipped that has already had the material shipped from China to the UK would increase my carbon footprint hugely, at least getting direct from there it is just one short boat ride :giggle: .

I think that overall it is still a far better option than someone using disposables if these nappies mean that they can afford it (even though any system will save money of course but people can't always see that if they are faced with hundreds of pounds/dollars to get set up). In terms of ethics I can't see that they can be less ethical than dispos either, as Amanda said are they not made in China too? It is still saving thousands of nappies from landfill and if we want to look at the humanitarian side we are providing jobs to those that really need it! I'll let you know what they say when I hear back from them.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:19 am

clothmama wrote:at least getting direct from there it is just one short boat ride :giggle: .

Maybe you could start a business bringing cheap nappies into Australia .. and smuggle people in at the same time under the mountains of fluff!

My avatar
Sophiebeth23
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Sophiebeth23 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:20 am

I love them they are well made we have 7 now.

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:15 am

I bought naughtybaby brand ones and they weren't much cop :( I thought they leaked a lot but also the sizing was small. However-my lo was born at almost 10 pounds...

I really hope they work for you-I'm also of the opinion that providing conditions are satisfactory using a reusable product is always preferable to a disposable, esp if you re-sell! I'm using the same nappies on my second child and they still look and perform as new :) x

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:10 am

Dora wrote:I bought naughtybaby brand ones and they weren't much cop :( I thought they leaked a lot but also the sizing was small. However-my lo was born at almost 10 pounds...

Not seen them but my first experience of cheapo Chinese was at a market in Qld when we lived up there and they looked and felt horrid and cheap and that had really turned me off, I guess a case of trail and error to find the decent ones.

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat