hf1

Prefolds for newborns before pockets or AIO's?

My avatar
Lilac14
Clothie
Clothie

Prefolds for newborns before pockets or AIO's?

Postby Lilac14 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:03 pm

I'm totally new to cloth nappies (and currently pregnant with my first). I am thinking of getting the bumgenius one sized pockets (As I keep hearing how great hey are and see very few complains) but hear they are not good for newborns so was thinking of getting some prefolds and covers to last me until the BG pockets do. This is really to keep the cost down as I didn't want to get a load of newborn nappies that are not going to last. I hear really mixed reviews about prefolds though... Can't decide what to do. Any advise is much appreciated.

My avatar
Sophiebeth23
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Prefolds for newborns before pockets or AIO's?

Postby Sophiebeth23 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:51 pm

I love prefolds we still use them regularly and my dd is nearly 7 months old.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:42 pm

Prefolds will definitely keep the cost down and they dry quickly which is very handy for a small person.

I don t think anyone has ever fallen in love with prefolds ;)
I used exclusively on dd1 pad folded in a wrap. I used to nippa them on dd2 to avoid as much leakage on to the wrap.
I would go for more wraps if you re using prefolds as the prefolds won t catch much poo, the wrap will. So I d recommend a wrap with a gusset.
I use them now on Ds as I know they won t leak on me ;)

Hth!

My avatar
Sophiebeth23
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Sophiebeth23 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:23 pm

I'm strange I prefer my prefolds out of my whole stash. They are my love don't ever get leaks.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:10 am

Sophiebeth23 wrote:I'm strange I prefer my prefolds out of my whole stash. They are my love don't ever get leaks.

I like them too :thumbsup:
My most reliable and cheapest nappy.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:08 am

Sophiebeth23 wrote:I'm strange I prefer my prefolds out of my whole stash. They are my love don't ever get leaks.

Do you nippa them or just sit them in the wrap? @Sophiebeth23

@Lilac14 congratulations on your pregnancy! When are you due? I'm building my stash and I'm doing a combo of some 2nd hand NB nappies, some home made ones, terry squares and some prefolds too. I think flats are a good option before BTP ones fit!

My avatar
Lilac14
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Lilac14 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:21 pm

Thanks for the responses! I'm not due until end of November but I want to try and start getting some nappies so that I can spread the cost. Trying to decide wether to get some newborn AIOs too. It's so difficult as every nappy seems to have lovers and haters! My sister tried cloth with her baby and she hated it as she got such horrendous nappy rash so she is trying to persuade me to not waste my money but I really want to make it work. I just isn't justify disposables unless absolutely necessary...

My avatar
Lilac14
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Lilac14 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:23 pm

Also, what covers did you prefer for newborns? I'm thinking the rumparooz or bummis but really don't know.

My avatar
Bernadette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Bernadette » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:37 pm

i only used Mother Ease and Nature Babies. They did two kids full time in cloth. Have since passed on to another cloth mum.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat