hf1

If you could design your perfect fitted ...

My avatar
Mum2aMiracle
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: If you could design your perfect fitted ...

Postby Mum2aMiracle » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:38 am

Ooo will you be doing LWI or marble dying? both are nice but I think marble looks so pretty, I love my Rockstar babywear marble dyeds, they are gorgeous, absorbent and quick dry, two boosters sewn in a loop, although I'd prefer only sewn one end as it makes laying it to dry easier

Faster drying or more absorbent?? more absorbent definately

BV inner, or microfleece or minkee? bv, or possibly minkee

snap in or lay in boosters? prefer snap in but I know what the others mean about them not being in the right place so maybe lay in boosters

specific night and day nappies, or one nappy adjustable for day or night eg extra night time booster?
specific day and night nappies - think this means they are as trim as possible during the day

What fabrics inbetween the BV, I was thinking hemp or bamboo fleece, which do you prefer, or would you like something different?
bamboo fleece all the way it's the most absorbent IMO, we have two 8 layer inserts one in hemp and one in bamboo the bamboo holds way more liquid and it stays softer.

Prefer coordinating snaps too, but not too fussed.
I really wanted to get more Rockstar babywear fitteds but with the exchange rate as it is, that would be VERY expensive now if there's a UK wahm making them, I'd be all over them :D happy to be tester too :wink:

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:46 am

interesting I hadn't thought of marble dyeing, it's a bit more effort that LWI but I could probably do you a custom, not doe it since I was in school though :? lol

My avatar
Emma S
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Emma S » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:59 pm

Faster drying or more absorbent??
Absorbancy is usually the main issue - am constantly hearing about people's LOs outweeing, and leaking - it seems to upset them more than anything. I am bad and use a tumble dryer anyway!

BV inner, or microfleece or minkee?
Lots of people seem to prefer BV, and then they use a fleece liner. If you use fleece or minkee as an inner you have to calculate for losing a layer of absorbancy

snap in or lay in boosters?
Lay in are far quicker to make, especially if you want 'hidden' poppers, and easier to take apart for washing.

specific night and day nappies, or one nappy adjustable for day or night eg extra night time booster?
just having extra boosters means that the fit has to be pretty generous to accommadate the extra bulk, which could make it 'baggy' during the day, and a lie in booster liable to slip and get 'missed' by a big wee downpour causing leaking. I would perfect your day fitted first, and then either adjust or redesign for a day/night or seperate night.

What fabrics inbetween the BV, I was thinking hemp or bamboo fleece, which do you prefer, or would you like something different?
this is down to personal preference really

I'm guessing a vote for style would be pretty unanimous towards a sidesnapping turned and topstitched nappy, but if you have any other prferences I'd be happy to hear!
BTP nappies really seem to be popular, and there are not many BV ones available, especially in the UK. T&T are good for the bigger sizes, but the leg 'ruffle' seems to be preferable for neborns as gives a bit extra containment for that milky poo

Also how fussed are people about snap colour, by which I mean if you could get a nappy slightly cheaper with white snaps, would you still prefer coordinating snaps?
generally I use ivory snap backs for all the sockets, but co-ordinate the caps on the front. That way I can bulk buy sockets and have a wider choice for colours for front caps.

Obviously these are just my opinions, and a few little things I have come across while working as a WAHM

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:59 pm

Thanks for that, I really appreciate an experienced opinion!!

My avatar
nicola g
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nicola g » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:08 pm

I cant wait for you to start making some, loving your stash so i bet these will be gorgeous.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:17 pm

I'm sooo excited, my mum has told me today she will lend me the rest of the money to get set up so I should be making nappies in no time, now I really need to think of a name BUT i have absolutely no ideas!!

My avatar
Emma S
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Emma S » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:29 pm

good luck xxx
the more UK WAHMs the better in my opinion - keeps all the business in the UK, and once people start looking for WAHM nappies they find a whole lot of us!
looking forward to seeing what you do
xxx

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Pinchette » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:58 am

How exciting!, ok here's my answers:

Faster drying or more absorbent?? more absorbant
BV inner, or microfleece or minkee? I don't mind, I personally don't find that BV keeps her dry enough and I also prefer my inside a dark colour so that stains don't show like on white.
snap in or lay in boosters? I prefer lay-in because sometimes I use the boosters in other nappies.
specific night and day nappies, or one nappy adjustable for day or night eg extra night time booster? I think one nappy that does day and night would probably be too bulky for daytime and now that we've reached toddlerhood it is bery important to have a slim nappy as normal high street shops don't make clothes roomy enough for nappies.
What fabrics inbetween the BV, I was thinking hemp or bamboo fleece, which do you prefer, or would you like something different? I prefer bamboo on top of hemp.

I do love a sidesnapping turned and topstitched nappy as I fnd them trimmer.
... if you could get a nappy slightly cheaper with white snaps... I probably be quite happy about that as long as I still had the option to choose between cheaper white snaps and co-ordinating ones.

My avatar
Mum2aMiracle
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Mum2aMiracle » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:14 pm

This is the sort of thing I'm lusting after 8)
http://hyenacart.com/prod_details.php?id=69927&vid=791

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat