hf1

Best nappies for a newborn? Are my LL bamboos a mistake?

My avatar
musdih
Clothie
Clothie

Best nappies for a newborn? Are my LL bamboos a mistake?

Postby musdih » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:25 pm

So Im quite new to the cloth nappy tree and really loving it here.
I have to say you girls have KNOWledge!!
ok - i started cloth with ds at 9 months with LL pockets, using LL bamboo size 3 & ME Airflow overnight for my 3 year old
Im expecting again and I have placenta praevia :( so it will be a cut and chop job at 36 weeks
But after lingering here a while I think ive made a mistake!!
Now that iVe discovered and absolutely love hip hips Real Easys for my now chunky 16 month old and given he will be 18 months when new bub arrives and my impending poor health ESP as i react v v v badly to anesthetics.
should I go for a AIO?
I had already bought a 'starter pack' of LL bamboo size 1s- My gut keeps screaming the LL are a mistake
(most likely for the first 2/3 weeks I'll use beaming baby disposies while I recover and dad is in charge of nappies)

Please advise me as to the best - bomb and idiot proof nappy so I have one less thing to worry about

Thank you so much all!! :pregnant:

My avatar
_michelle_
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Best nappies for a newborn? Are my LL bamboos a mistake?

Postby _michelle_ » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:37 pm

Hi,
I used little lambs fitteds with my twins from 1 month to 6/7 months and with a motherease wrap found them great for containment of bf newborn poosplosions if a little bulky at first. Sounds like you will have your hands full :) I'm bet you will be up and changing nappies within 48 hours. My emergency c section recovery was far easier then I expected.

My avatar
Katielou
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Katielou » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:24 pm

I don't think you've made a mistake. I started with pockets on mine as a newborn and quickly converted to two parters. They're more reliable, last longer and leak less in my experience that is. I really don't think they are any extra hassel. I'd rather that than be changing clothes all the time!

My avatar
musdih
Clothie
Clothie

Postby musdih » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:34 pm

Thank you
Maybe I'm just panicking about everything now
@_michelle_ well done for your quick recovery
I know most moms are great post c section and I admire them so much
To put it in perspective - I had a modified fentons procedure done under very mild general anaesthetic. I was under for 1.5 hours in total.
It's a day case whereby you're kept for 2-3 hours after procedure just to make sure everything is ok.
Muggins here didn't come round for 2 days!!!! And stayed a further 3 days in hospital and only left because I insisted on discharging myself as was dying to be back home with my boys
Apparently I've been living so clean that my body couldn't handle the anaesthetic
So you see.... I'm very worried...

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:43 pm

Hopefully they ll take that into consideration @musdih , especially if it's a planned c section.

I don t think you ve made a mistake either. Even if you don t use them straight away, I m pretty sure you ll use them for a good few months.
I prefer 2 parters for reliability too. Aio and pockets are great ( more for an older wriggly child) for ease of putting on but I have always had leaks with them on my 3.
They will take longer to dry being bamboo but we re heading for warmer weather at least :) Just make sure you have some quicker drying nappies too so that you have some nappies to use sooner after a wash than others iyswim.

Good luck, when's baby due?

My avatar
musdih
Clothie
Clothie

Postby musdih » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:04 pm

Thanks for the reassurance @confusinglady
EDD is 25th June but will be circa 25th May at 36 weeks
Am currently looking into homeopathy and accupuncture to try and move placenta so I don't have to have the C section
Other than fear of the knife - don't want to miss out on that joyous feeling right after you think your world (and your insides!) has collapsed and you hear the most innocent little cry and suddenly love overcomes you and everything's ok
Ahem...hormones...feeling very soft today

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:25 pm

Ah good luck. I know nothing about moving placentas :(
I wonder if it can be helped by doing any of the moving babies/ positioning exercises? Probably not as the placenta is attached of course. Spinning babies is it called?

My avatar
_michelle_
Clothie
Clothie

Postby _michelle_ » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:09 pm

Sorry I missed the part about a bad reaction to anaesthetic. I thought that most c sections were done by spinal anaesthetic though which its pretty unusual to have problems with unlike General aneasthetic? I'm certainly no expert though, I was pretty ignorant about what a c section involved until I was rushed into theatre 30 minutes after having twin 1 after number 2 turned sideways and refused to budge and his heart rate kept dropping.

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:33 pm

You will be better with your LL's on a newborn. I found their runny poop squirts out the sides of AIO'S. I had a BG AIO and it looked cute but it was dreadful, we used Diddy diapers and Terry squares which were far more reliable.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat