hf1

Falling out of love with cloth :(

My avatar
PixieFix
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Falling out of love with cloth :(

Postby PixieFix » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:46 am

I need some help! Cloth nappies have been great up to now and I really do hate dispies but I've been having some problems with my cloth. Here is my list of complaints (sorry, this is going to sound a bit moany):
1. EJ is moving around a lot more and the nappies are so restrictive!
2. She tries sitting up but the nappies dig in to her stomach. She loves sitting up, I just had her sitting up on the floor in a disposable and she was all smiles, but the cloth nappies make it very hard for her to sit.
3. They are getting a bit tight around the thighs, but these are size 2s and she is only 4 months! Am I missing something here? We have ll bamboo and tots bots bamboozles.
4. The lls and the wraps I have keep folding down at the front so that the raw edge of the velcro is then scratching at her skin. Its really sharp and leaves a big red mark :( When I put them on her they are fine but I think because she is moving her legs a lot it kind of works its way down at the front.

I really do hate disposables, they stink, they leak and the thought of all those chemicals next to her skin :puke:
but I finally had enough and she was wearing one just now and her legs could move, she could sit comfortably and I know there's nothing digging into her or scratching at her skin. I'm thinking maybe to try some terries, that's all I can think of. Does anyone else have any ideas??? Please help :cry:

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Falling out of love with cloth :(

Postby Dancing mum » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:06 am

I have a couple of terries and I like them but haven't quite mastered the nippa-ing so they do change position as she moves at the moment.
I don't use Velcro nappies at all now, snaps have worked so much better for us in nappies and wraps. My LO is a VERY chunky 11.5 month old and we use AMK's with blueberry / weenotions wraps, LL pockets btp, Charlie banana pockets and Grovia (only have 1 but love it!). At certain points I have thought she is almost at the biggest setting and then she'll go up a rise setting or maybe even just grow a bit or something and it's fine again.
In short, I'd recommend poppers all the way as I have also found them more adjustable than Velcro (which feels like it should be the other way round but for some reason isn't for me).

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:43 am

I like little lamb pockets, cheap,slim and no restrictions xx

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:12 am

Ditto. Had exact problems at this stage with my boys. Switched to sized Ll pockets and solved all! both can go back in fitteds now their shape has changed :)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:42 pm

They do go through different shapes / stages where some nappies work better than others! I think this is one of the main reasons that you shoudl have a varied collection not just one variety because there will be times when certain styles / shapes / brands work better than others. I love velcro / aplix on very small babies as it is quick and easy but I remember the same thing with the tummy poking happening with Louis at which point I switched to poppers to stop that happening. I even took the aplix off my bamboozle so that I could use it as a nippa nappy, that could be an option for you with your LL's? It would certainly make the whole top of the nappy soft again and give you really good adjustability.

I think it is a case of the exact nappies you are currently using not being great for this stage and agree with the others to try something different. Nature Babies wraps are really soft and poppers so wouldn't do the same thing, maybe try picking up some different fitteds that are popper or nippa fastening or as the others have suggested try some pockets. Ems gifted me her size 1 Little Lamb pockets and I'm really really impressed with them they are very reliable for a pocket and seem really comfy (although I have found I need to be careful to make sure that the elastic is flat). Have a nosey in classifieds and pick up a few things to try that would be what I would do :widesmile: Completely get what you mean about the dispos, we are part time using them just due to travel circumstance at the moment and they just stink, I keep thinking he has done a poo when he has just wee'ed :puke:

Let us know how you get on @PixieFix and we need a new photo of your LO I bet she has changed so much!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:45 pm

Glad to hear you're getting on well with the pockets @clothmama. They are the only pockets that work for us. Not sure if its the insert or the nappy...?!

I'm hoping they'll be in the next ll sale as apparently they are not very popular!

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:40 pm

Reading with interest as, having had a week of nasty, stinky dispose dues to a dead washing machine, I have noticed that Percy is much more mobile in them. Previously we got lots of wriggles, rolling and movement at nappy free time, but Ive noticed that he can move nearly as much in the dispies. I'll be interested to see what happens when he's back in cloth once my machine is fixed.

You're all making me want to get some ll pockets!
I really don't rate pockets, so don't use them, but have a few cheapie as they are the only thing DH can cope with! :giggle:

My avatar
carlymh89
Clothie
Clothie

Postby carlymh89 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:06 pm

Switch to poppers. I found all velco ones got very scratchy once frankie could sit up. Itti bittis are amazing too they are so super slim between the legs so I find she seems to be much more free in them. :D

My avatar
PixieFix
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby PixieFix » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:55 pm

Lots of food for thought here, will reply properly soon but thank you all for the advise!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat