hf1

How to change a nappy? Plus other stupid questions!

My avatar
laurajane
Clothie
Clothie

How to change a nappy? Plus other stupid questions!

Postby laurajane » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:25 pm

So, I'm a pregnant FTM with very limited baby experience. But I know enough to know that babies scream and wriggle and sometimes you just need to get things done super quickly right? :giggle:

I've been playing around with dolls with my nappy stash... the AIO's and pockets are just like a 'sposie so I'm not too worried about those but the fitted/prefolds and wraps I'm a bit confused about. How do you actually do the process of changing the nappy most efficiently?

As I see it there are a few options:

1. Lay the wrap down first, with the nappy (fitted or prefold or terry) inside? Put baby on top, fasten nappy, fasten wrap.
2. Only lay down the nappy and fasten, then lift up babys legs and slide the wrap into place and fasten it?
3. Something else??!

Do you store your prefolds and terry's pre-folded, and do you store your pockets pre-stuffed? Or is it a make-up as you go along thing? My lack of knowledge here is slightly embarassing! :oops:

My avatar
allierat
Clothie
Clothie

Re: How to change a nappy? Plus other stupid questions!

Postby allierat » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:37 pm

With terries or fitteds I'd go with option 2, prefolds I pad fold and put them inside the wrap then put the whole nappy on as a one piece.
Terries I fold as needed, prefolds I store prefolded and I store pockets prestuffed.
I'm pretty sure most people have their own way of doing things though and you'll find what suits you as you go along.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:54 pm

No questions are stupid! Seriously I remember how overwhelming it is being pregnant with your first and not being able to quite get how it will all work looking after a new little person! I also spent a lot of time at work helping FTMs with all the basics - everyone needs a hand.

laurajane wrote:Lay the wrap down first, with the nappy (fitted or prefold or terry) inside? Put baby on top, fasten nappy, fasten wrap.

I tend to do this, especially now he is really wriggly!

laurajane wrote:Do you store your prefolds and terry's pre-folded, and do you store your pockets pre-stuffed? Or is it a make-up as you go along thing?

In an ideal world this is what I do - have everything pre folded / stuffed and stacked on the nappy shelf easy to grab. The reality is probably half the time I have an Ikea bag full of nappies off the line all unfolded and unstuffed and me rooting around trying to find something before I get poop everywhere :roll: :giggle:

laurajane wrote:My lack of knowledge here is slightly embarassing! :oops:

Not at all - it is such a learning curve being a mum and cloth nappies are a whole extra new thing to learn but it is all fun and we are always happy to help :cnthug:

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:41 am

:wave: don't worry not many people have experience of all these things! Why should you if you don't have children?! I had never changes a nappy on a proper baby before mine and I was terrified once dd1 arrived as I didn't know what to do when!

But have no fear, you'll have changed a fair few nappies before your baby can move and wriggle away.

Ideally having everything ready at hand is the best idea. As with most things it's easier to do when you re not under pressure. I didn't use pockets on a newborn but I had prefolds ready folded or terries/ muslins ready folded with a liner in and just folded over on itself to stack it/ put in my bag. With prefolds I d put in a wrap if pad folded and then put on baby in one go. With terries/muslins I d then unfold put it on baby and then put wrap on as a second stage.
With two parter type nappy ie a wrap goes over the top, you just have to make sure none of the nappy is sticking out at the back, front or legs.

Good luck, I m sure you ll be fine. All the minor poo explosions and the unexpected wee as you take a nappy off are all part of the fun :D I used to put an extra prefold under baby at every change ( on the change mat) just in case.

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:33 am

I was totally clueless - when Oliver was born the midwife had to dress him as hubby and I were so nervous about hurting him.

Second time was a little different, although Isaac had to be rushed off to clear his airway, as soon as he was back with us we put him in a cloth nappy and a bobble hat.

If you don't regularly spend time around babies, it's totally understandable that you have lots of questions.

Good luck!

My avatar
laurajane
Clothie
Clothie

Postby laurajane » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:57 am

Awww thanks everyone. You've filled me with confidence that I won't somehow put the nappy on her head and the dummy on her bum ;)

Clothmama - i lolled at the ikeabag comment!! That is pretty much how our laundry lives now, so I don't see it getting any better, hahahaha!

Just another question:

I have a washer dryer combo. The washer part is excellent... the dryer is just okay. It's actually much better than some I've used before, but to dry a half load of laundry is about 2 hours!!! Would you say the "nappy wash" equals about a full load of laundry (if I'm planning on washing every other day?). For info, my washing machine says it takes upto 7kg, but I usually err on the side of underfilling.

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:18 am

Hi :wave:
My washing machine takes 7kg and I wash every other day too. It's no where near a full load so don't worry. As a newborn you will get through more nappies than my LO is now at 18 months but I'd say it's still more like half a load in a 7kg machine :thumbsup:

My avatar
laurajane
Clothie
Clothie

Postby laurajane » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:23 am

Thanks Dancing mum! Good to have a reference to go by!! x

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat