hf1

Lots of leaks

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: Lots of leaks

Postby Bumboleo » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:09 pm

Hmmmmmm, all very interesting, thanks all for the great advice! Just leaked out of another LL but the inserts weren't saturated, weren't wet at all at the back. I strip wash everything all together if I'm doing a strip wash. Past couple of days I've been using cloth about 50% of the time but I do hope I can sort it out and if not I'll definitely try them again in a few months anyway! Just wish I had invested in different nappies now, grr. Oh well, you live and learn!

Should have some time tonight to try and track down some bamboo terries (great idea) or hemp inserts etc etc.

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: Lots of leaks

Postby Bumboleo » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:39 am

Ok I have been to my local nappy library and the lady was super helpful and has given me some inserts to try, mainly bamboo though, and some fitted nappies to try, one hemp some bamboo. She gave me 1 zorb insert to try but didn't have any hemp inserts to try.

Anyway, yesterday we had NO LEAKS, with one insert as-is, either MF or bamboo, then a bamboo folded in half and at the front of the nappy. Seemed to work well and I was really excited, but I've done exactly the same today and already had 2 leaks :( he's in his 3rd outfit already and it's only 10:30am. The only difference is yesterday I didn't do up his vests, and today I've done them up but used vest extenders.
The nappy I just put off was totally saturated, only been on about an hour so I think he did a big big wee that the nappy couldn't cope with.

SO, what is the most fast absorbent fabric, and also which copes with compression best? I think big wees and compression are our biggest problems. I feel so disheartened!

Last night we tried a Baby Beehind hemp nappy which the library gave me, with 2 bamboo boosters inside and 2 outside, and a wool cover, and it was absolutely sodden this morning and his sleeping bag was wet too. Just don't know what to try, there are so many options, just none of them seem to work!

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: Lots of leaks

Postby Bumboleo » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:42 am

Sorry my English is terrible in that post! :-s and I'm English born and bred, ha!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Re: Lots of leaks

Postby Louise » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:30 pm

I would try ditching the mf completely. When saturated and compressed it squishes the liquid back out causing leaks. How many layers are in the bamboo inserts? Some are really thin and don't hold a lot! As I said before happy to send you our most reliable combo to try out which was a P'tit dessous bamboo (8 layers of bamboo folded in half, very slim but super absorbent!) with an Easy Peasy hemp underneath. For night time we exclusively used specific night nappies under wool longies or shorties as boosted day nappies just didn't cut it for us. We used Wee Notions night notions, Holdens Landing Bedbugs and Little Gumnut night nappies.

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: Lots of leaks

Postby Bumboleo » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:12 pm

Oh sorry Louise I think I must have missed your offer previously! That would be really kind and helpful, thanks.

I'm not sure how many layers of bamboo is in each insert - we use Little Lamb bamboo inserts. In Charlie Bananas we use Microfibre and Bamboo, but in LL pockets we just use bamboo and the same thing happens. Will try ditching the MF though!

My avatar
Marion
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Lots of leaks

Postby Marion » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:19 am

Hi, i hardly ever post on here ..... i had the same problem with leakage with my 2nd baby. all the pocket nappies that were fab on my first, a girl, were useless on my 2nd, a boy. i think it was because he was peeing upwards to the top, and the PUL outers were getting wet straight away and wicking (as well as leaks at the legs). one solution that helped, was i bought a piece of hemp fabric and cut it into rectangular strips (from memory about 5cm x 15cm). i folded those up and stuffed them into the top corners of the pocket nappies. the other thing i found was that pocket nappies with PUL outers just didn't work (except for a fabulous finnish brand can't remember the name of), however fleece outers were good most of the time. so sometimes i would use a fleece pocket nappy on the outside. the fleece outer didn't seem to wick onto his clothes (most of the time). weenotions fleece pockets were wonderful. and i used them on him at night till he was 3 from memory. like others have said, easy peasy hemp inserts and p'tits d'sous bamboo inserts. also i made my own inserts by pulling apart the easy peasy hemp (it is 6 layers of hemp) and buying a piece of zorb fabric - i used a piece of hemp on the top and bottom, and zorb on the inside. just to add, all of this was done because i lived in greece and couldn't afford to buy a whole new set of cloth nappies. by buying some hemp and zorb fabric, and i think some used weenotions fleece pockets, i was able to continue with cloth at minimal investment. i think i also bought some zorb fabric, cut it into squares to use as inserts like a terry square. no stitching, the edges didn't run, and was quick and easy to dry.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Lots of leaks

Postby clothmama » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:58 am

Bumboleo wrote:I think big wees and compression are our biggest problems

Agree with Louise on this one!
Louise wrote:I would try ditching the mf completely. When saturated and compressed it squishes the liquid back out causing leaks


Bumboleo wrote:we use Little Lamb bamboo inserts

Ahhhhh see this may be part of the problem if this is all you have - they are great little boosters for adding to things but are only about 2 layers, so if you hav ea heavy wetter you'll be needing to put at least 4 per nappy. If you are just putting say one or 2 and a mf then that is why you are getting all your leaks, at 7 months that would have lasted about half an hour for Rémy!

Louise wrote:As I said before happy to send you our most reliable combo to try out which was a P'tit dessous bamboo (8 layers of bamboo folded in half, very slim but super absorbent!) with an Easy Peasy hemp underneath.

That is a really lovely offer @Louise and hopefully that will help work out what works for you @Bumboleo :widesmile:

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Lots of leaks

Postby Aeseldyr » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:48 am

clothmama wrote:
Bumboleo wrote:I think big wees and compression are our biggest problems

Agree with Louise on this one!
Louise wrote:I would try ditching the mf completely. When saturated and compressed it squishes the liquid back out causing leaks


Bumboleo wrote:we use Little Lamb bamboo inserts

Ahhhhh see this may be part of the problem if this is all you have - they are great little boosters for adding to things but are only about 2 layers, so if you hav ea heavy wetter you'll be needing to put at least 4 per nappy. If you are just putting say one or 2 and a mf then that is why you are getting all your leaks, at 7 months that would have lasted about half an hour for Rémy!

Louise wrote:As I said before happy to send you our most reliable combo to try out which was a P'tit dessous bamboo (8 layers of bamboo folded in half, very slim but super absorbent!) with an Easy Peasy hemp underneath.

That is a really lovely offer @Louise and hopefully that will help work out what works for you @Bumboleo :widesmile:

Agree :thumbsup:

The regular little lamb boosters - thin once are really good for boosting a diaper but needs more than a couple to go as inserts in itself.

Image

The trifold inserts (also little lamb) I would consider an real insert i tink it has 4-6 layers folded and they come with the pocket diapers.

Image
Neither however would have lastet on its own at that age with DD2 here.

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: Lots of leaks

Postby Bumboleo » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:33 am

Those trifolds didn't come in my LL pockets, I got a big and small bamboo booster in all of mine!

Anyway OK, great idea to make your own, maybe I will try that! But again, which is the best fabric for absorbing big wees quickly and coping with compression? I might buy some of MollysDad's hemp inserts but I've already bought lots of seemingly useless inserts (LL bamboo, drowning in them!) and I don't want to do that again... I have 1 zorb insert from the nappy library which I am going to try today too!
Thanks so much for all the help!

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat