I think i'm doing it wrong!

My avatar
Bumfluffmama
Clothie
Clothie

I think i'm doing it wrong!

Postby Bumfluffmama » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:13 pm

Hi all
My d's is 12 weeks old and I have tried cloth nappying him with tots bots easy fit v3 and another similar style nappy but get leaks every time usually around tge legs, but they seem to fit fine.
Is there anything I'm not thinking of that would be causing leaks, they seem to fit fine, no liner showing, clean nappies well adjusted to fit well??!!?
If its just that type/brand that doesn't suit us how do I know what would, I can't afford to spend a lot on nappies we can't use.
Please help as I really want to use cloth.
Many thanks x x x

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: I think i'm doing it wrong!

Postby confusinglady » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:30 pm

Welcome to the tree!

It could be down to a few different reasons. Is the rest of the nappy wet through? If it is it could be that it's full so wee is soaked up by clothes/ vest instead. I think the easyfits are microfibre aren't they? This soaks up as much as it can then once full if you squeeze it the wee comes back out. So sometimes in buggies or wraps/ carriers, that part of the nappy is squashed and can squeeze moisture out again.
My kids have been power weeers ( not even a word!) and I could not use these types of nappies without leaks.
Does LO wear a vest with poppers? I found that this could exacerbate the problem as the material is in prime position to soak up wee if it is touching the edge of the leg hole bit of the nappy.

Good luck, keep coing back with questions .

My avatar
Bumfluffmama
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Bumfluffmama » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:11 am

Thanks for your reply.
Nappies are not wet through but he is a mega wee-er. He does wear popper vests, and we do use a carrier, I have seen that these are things that cause problems when I have tried to find the problem before.
Can anyone recommend a solution or cloth nappies that work better in carriers.
Do people not use popper vests? I just find tops ride up and his big fat belly would end up chilly!
Thanks again! Xx

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:13 am

It could be compression wicking then ( when the nappy gets squeezed and wee comes back out) . Ways to help would be to change more frequently but that might only give you an hour per nappy if you've got a mega weeer :( 12 weeks is a point at which they all wee a lot too due to the amount of milk they have at that age. It may be when they get bigger it won't be a problem. Babies wee less when they are on solids.
It could always be a fit issue too.
Lots of people do abandon the popper vest, this is also because people use wool covers or trousers. I used vest extenders so the vest was done up but not squeezing the nappy.

I only found sucess with a two part system; a nappy then wrap. My cheap as chips prefold and nappy combo was my turn to nappy if I wanted to guarantee no leaks.
Microfibre is great for being slim and soaking up quick flowing wee quickly but once saturated it causes problems. Cotton or other materials like bamboo, hemp, zorb hold more for longer.
I hope that all helps, so sorry your first go is not proving successful :hug:

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:36 am

Its just so frustrating when the diaper does not work :hug:

I have used poppered wests with both girls just like the fit better that shirts and the fact they don't end up with a naked belly.

Can't remember what the soaker is made of with the v3 but I would try the simplest solutions before discarding the diapers and trying others. One easy thing to do is to add some hemp inserts or something else that holds up the wee well.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:49 am

How long after putting the nappy on do you take it off wet? Have you tried putting a booster or two extra in? Bamboo or hemp are good. The other great option for that age is a fitted with a wrap. Much more reliable! I love the bamboo fitted nappies by little lamb. Keep trying, it takes a bit of time to get it right but you will get the right combo and you won't look back!!

My avatar
Bumfluffmama
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Bumfluffmama » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:40 am

Thanks all I will have a look at some of those options
He is leaking after half hour to an hour so something isn't quite right, nappies are not saturated just leaking at one point.
Thanks for all the advice, keep it coming!!! Xx

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:37 am

I reckon it's compression from MF then. What is/are the other nappies you have?

My avatar
Bumfluffmama
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Bumfluffmama » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:26 pm

Sorry I'm a bit if a newbie, what's MF? He is in tots bots easy fits and another similar but cheaper unbranded one,(which actually seems to work a bit better).

I'm getting more baffled by it all the more I look into it. Don't know whether to try a fitting with a wrap or preform or just panic and end up just using pampers again! Aaaahhhhhhhhh! X

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat