hf1

Clothing for cloth bums

My avatar
Tobyplusone
Clothie
Clothie

Clothing for cloth bums

Postby Tobyplusone » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:02 pm

Hello all. I am not due till August but have decided this time round I want to use cloth over disposables.
I have already a stash of reusable nappies and now want to start buying some clothing.
I am however finding it hard to work out what makes fit best over cloth bums. I have heard people say frugi or cut4cloth clothing but I find that they are just too expensive to build up a nice pile of vests and babygrows. Have also been told to just buy normal brand clothes a size or 2 bigger but I don't want the clothes being big on ches, arms etc which is what would happen. Any advice on what makes a could buy and sizing without breaking the bank.m
Thanks in advance

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Clothing for cloth bums

Postby LynniferT » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:06 pm

We have frugi and maxomorra, both fit well over my DS's cloth. I bought most of mine in sales and you can get some 2nd hand too.
With DD we just had normal leggings over cloth and they were fine. Before the frugi etc we just had normal trackie bottoms for DS but bought the generously sized ones rather than tight.

Vest wise we use vest extenders which most nappy sites sell :)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:52 pm

I agree with Lynne, vest extenders are fab but I tend to use non popper vests tbh as I hate doing them up! Rémy wears lots of leggings and also tracksuit pants, stretchy jeans are fine. I find most stuff is OK, you may notice you have to go to the next size a little earlier and just take care when looking at the cut. Stiff jeans are really bad (but I hate them on small babies anyway - must be so uncomfy!) so stay clear of them. Honestly dont' stress it - in 2 kids I've never owned a specially for cloth piece of clothing - as you say they tend to be so expensive!

PS Congratulations and welcome to the Tree :wave:

My avatar
BekkiLB
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby BekkiLB » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:39 pm

I'm in my second cloth bummed baby and never bought specific cut for cloth clothing. H&m and morisons are especially roomy but I've never really had a problem with getting clothes to fit my 2. I avoid jeans anyway but soft trousers fit them great. The only places I've found are small made are primark and next. x

My avatar
_michelle_
Clothie
Clothie

Postby _michelle_ » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:41 pm

I found h&m to be the best place for reasonably priced clothes for cloth bums. I usually sized up with things like vests or used extenders and never really found babygrows an issue even with night cloth. Do you know if you are having a boy or a girl yet? Dresses are easy for girls, the only things I struggle with are leggings and tights which i usually find next are ok for but frugi are better. I cloth nappied my boys from birth to potty training and found h&m the best for jeans, the elasticated waist and hem style work fab with cloth and are fairly cheap. Dungarees tend to work well with cloth nappies in my experience to. Just avoid things like skinny jeans which in my opinion look bloody uncomfortable anyway.

My avatar
Kim
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Kim » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:53 pm

H&m for us too. Especially the vests, they seem to have a bigger bum portion and it has elastic too so no need to size up. I have bought a couple of WAHM clothing pants but because I liked the fabric not because I needed too. I have recently started making my own too.

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:45 pm

I found vests with this sort of cut the best :)

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat