hf1

More leaks yet again!

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

More leaks yet again!

Postby Bumboleo » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:32 am

Hello! OK everytime I post on here I am having problems with nappies so I must look like a total dunce :hohoho:

I have seen the post you tagged me in @clothmama, thank you! I am going to do a strip wash this weekend.

But I thought I would start my own post and explain current issue!

Baby boy, 10 mo.

A few months ago we were having loads of leaks. Loads. All the time. After an hour, a big leak would occur.

Visited local nappy library and settled on a folded hemp insert at front of nappy and bamboo booster underneath that.

Haven't had any problems for a couple of months.

This week - we've started getting leaks again!!!! :doh: Aaaaaargh!

I will attach some pics of the baby's nappies yesterday and this morning. I know they look ridiculous, the green one is particularly poorly fitted. But this is new, up until this week this boosting combo and rise setting (full rise) has been working beautifully.

He is a nightmare at nappy changes so I know velcro fastenings would be much more convenient than poppers. I do use velcro for naptimes but when he is sitting, playing etc, the velcro folds inwards and irritates his tummy and he ends up with a rash, so I don't like that.

Just this week the fit of the nappies seems to have gone skewiff - gapey at the back of the legs, although he is still getting red marks around his thighs :( And also gaping around the front of the tummy - this is why I moved up to the full rise, and it stopped the gaping, but now it seems to be back.

So the nappies are just ENORMOUS with the current boosting combo, again, all of a sudden this week!?! So last night I stuffed some nappies with the same combo, one hemp over one bamboo, but with the hemp flat and not folded. This morning his nappy only lasted an hour. The inserts were completely saturated atthe front, so that's why I think I do need the folded hemp at the front. But that is VERY bulky and leads to a really poor fit.

Aggh, I don't know what I need to do??? He does drink a lot, he has about 3 or 4 7oz bottles a day and a lot of water in between. Maybe he's just a big wee-r.

I am going to strip wash this weekend but I never feel it does anything. The nappy library lady said she never strip washed and never had any problems :-s

Should I strip wash like once a month? I've kind of probably done 3 strip washes in 8 months. I have only ever used 2 tbsp non-bio detergent to wash with though, so surely there wouldn't be build-up? Might swap to bio?

Sorry for total train-of-though post but I am LOST!

Will post pics in a sec...

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: More leaks yet again!

Postby Bumboleo » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:39 am

This morning's totsbots easyfit

Yesterday's Little Lamb pocket :oops:

Very droopy and baggy?? - so should I be on the mid-rise?

OK round legs and tummy when sitting, the chub keeps everything in. It's when he's moving around that it gets gapey. But we also get leaks in the pushchair :doh:

Waaah :hohoho:

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:47 pm

Hard to tell the fit on TB but the other one seem a bit loose at the belly.

I have found that the little ones grow in odd moves :giggle: and that you can think that they are growing out of the width and then suddently they are slimmer at the waist and bigger at the legs - sometimes it even happens within a few days. When my youngest was about a year I thought she was growing out of her Bumgenius - bought some Thirsties size 2 (since they run larger) and then suddently after 1 month she fit the BGs again :roll:

Some questions that might help us get closer to the source of the problem:
Where is the leaks coming from?
Are the inserts saturated or are they still "dry"?
Is it all your nappies or just the two you have here?

Maybe he is a big wetter - meaning he wees a lot at one time, in that case it could be an idea to put some microfiber on top of the hemp and bamboo.

Don't worry you'll sort it out - just hang in there >:D<

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:24 pm

Hi sorry I've not got back to you yet, been so busy today and still not stopped :loopy: I'll reply as soon as I get a chance over the weekend!

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Bumboleo » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:49 pm

Leaks coming from the back of the thigh

Inserts are generally saturated at the front and dry at the back, after about 1-2hrs.

Seems to be all the nappies! Actually the TB seems to be one of the best at the mo, it's just it looks so bulky and I've caught the baby patting it and looking puzzled :-D

So I am going to strip wash tomorrow. I did a wash today and it did seem to still whiff a bit when I opened the washing machine door :-o so I will strip wash that load tomorrow. I have been reading the various strip washing techniques on this site and I think I'll do a full dose of bio powder and a slosh of vinegar...? Keep it simple. And then just rinse until no bubbles, is that right? Annoyingly my washing machine door is black and hard to see through but it is do-able.

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:35 pm

Bumboleo wrote:

So I am going to strip wash tomorrow. I did a wash today and it did seem to still whiff a bit when I opened the washing machine door :-o so I will strip wash that load tomorrow. I have been reading the various strip washing techniques on this site and I think I'll do a full dose of bio powder and a slosh of vinegar...? Keep it simple. And then just rinse until no bubbles, is that right? Annoyingly my washing machine door is black and hard to see through but it is do-able.

Just short before bed but yes I'd do a wash full dose powder about 1 dl of vinegar in the softener thing and extra rinse.
Btw what temp are you washing at?

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Bumboleo » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:23 am

Since weaning I've been washing at 60. Pre-wash with no detergent, so basically a rinse, then a 60 wash with 2tbsp powder (non bio til now), then a rinse.

Off to do my full dose of bio detergent wash!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:10 am

Good luck with the strip wash, hopefully it will help! You shouldn't really need to be strip washing that regularly as long as you aren't using too much detergent (which sounds like you aren't). What brand have you been using? I know ecover has a particularly bad reputation with cloth nappies, lots of girls on here have had issues with smell etc when using. It is worth giving bio a go.

However sounds like leaks are your biggest current issue. How often do you change him? Is the green one a Little Lambs one size? You said you haven't been having leaks for a while but so you don't get discouraged about cloth in general I have never been able to get them to work for me, they leak every single time regardless of what I stuff them with, I have no idea why they are so terrible on Rémy - the cheapest of the Chinese cheapies I have work better! I'm so devastated about this as I just love the prints so much and really, really loved the sized ones we had in size one, they were just bomb proof and awesome even when he was really tiny (and until then I'd never been a fan of pockets on tinies).

As others have said they often change shape really quickly and nappies fit differently. As to the rise, we've only just gone into the biggest rise at 16 months.

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:22 am

Bumboleo wrote:Since weaning I've been washing at 60. Pre-wash with no detergent, so basically a rinse, then a 60 wash with 2tbsp powder (non bio til now), then a rinse.

Off to do my full dose of bio detergent wash!

This is my wash rutine:

- Cold rinse
- Prewash with half dose detergent (use a little more than half all together of the recommended detergent for my water (hard)) (sometimes i put some vanish oxi action the green kind thats ok for environment and so)
- Wash with the other half of detergent (60 now that she only wees, but >75 before)
- Rinse (is just part of the programme I run it on)

The reason for the higher temp with poop is that that kind of bacteria does not get killed before you hit 70 degrees.

As I said in the beginning of my cloth nappying career I used too little detergent and it caused smells. They just did not get clean with so little detergent as you often hear clothnappy moms recommend.

Let us now how it does with the washing :thumbsup:

I have to get it right with the leaks :giggle:
So he leaks in a spot where the insert is actually not wet or?

You might have heard this before from others :giggle: but one bulletproof clothnappy combination is: Fitteds/inserts/prefolds/flats with covers. Specially fitteds have worked really well for us :thumbsup:

But I also believe in finding the simplest solutions to the problem! So no need to change your whole system

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat