hf1

Opinions please as I have an idea

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Opinions please as I have an idea

Postby MissFrodo » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:21 am

Not sure where to put it so feel free to move my idea ;)

I was offered a nappycompany a few days ago, fab and great and really would love it but well no way I can get the money to buy it :cry:

It made me think though what would be THE business we need.
Very soon I made a small businessplan.....a preloved nappystore!
Just like secondhandclothes, people can bring their nappies and I'll put them online and hopefully sell them. If sold a part of the money goes to the person who brought it in and the other part is for me. To start I might have to buy a bunch of preloved nappies to sell so people will know where to find me and create goodwill.

Offcourse I'll only sell stuff in good condition so think I need to make rules to make sure I only get good stuff.
Unsold items will go to charity.

Honest opinions please.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Opinions please as I have an idea

Postby clothmama » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:56 am

It is a nice idea but honestly not sure you would end up with enough money to make it worth while. How many cloth users are there in Holland (post would be prohibative to send elsewhere I'm guessing)? If there are a lot of users then it could work I guess.

What is happening with your health / diet thing?

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:01 am

@clothmama thanks for replying.
It seems to be a growing market overhere, seems people are finally getting it ;)
Sending elsewhere could work though postage would be higher, so for mainpart I'll focus on Netherlands.

Health/diet wise..still studying no worries nothing changed ;) It was that shop I could buy that came along and put me on this track;)

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:19 pm

Yes a lovely idea but it won't make much money. Lets say someone brings you a nappy and you sell it for £8 how much will they get? It has to be worth it or they wont bother. They either have to post it or get it to you which is time or money. If the get £3 to get it to you that leaves £5.

Now after that you have to factor in your costs. Postage bags, possible washing costs? Website creation, hosting, domains, TIME - set up, promoting, post office trips, labelling, packing, printing, accounts.

People grumble about paying postage especially on low value items. Lots of prelived items just don't sell and end up making a loss after post costs.

When you sell items for other people whether retail or preloved two people need to share profit.

From experience I would say retail works well as long as you can sell large volumes. When you make and sell you can do really well but then you have extra time for making.

Xx

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:59 pm

@littlesez thanks for your opinion.
It's pretty common here with clothes, though might not work with nappies, to bring it to a secondhand store that sells it for you. Shop takes 60% and "owner" gets 40%.
If it's a webshop and stuff has to be posted the shop pays part of the postage if it's like 25 items or more.
Need to figure out if people would do that with nappies, good point.
The idea is to make it easier for people to try cloth as they can bring it back for me to sell again if it doesn't work and it will be cheaper then buying new (think that's what scares people to try it as it's a lot of money).
If you buy from ebay or someone you don't know you often end up with nappies that aren't in the condition you expected it to be and as pp isn't very common with this deals you really end up with crap.
But maybe it would be smarter to sell new stuff and offer a trial like Fillyourpants does and maybe add a secondhand section within the shop?

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:23 am

A mix of both could work :) trials are a good idea. Do you have nappy libraries everywhere like in the UK ? If not then that would be better for you

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:44 am

What's a Nappy library? Will Google later as i've just woke

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:11 am

Nappy libraries are non profit, they loan out nappies to try out and give information. If there aren't any near you then that's good as you won't be competing with people who offer a free service

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:26 am

Thanks again @littlesez we dont have any in the Netherlands.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat