Do I need more newborn size nappies?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Do I need more newborn size nappies?

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:17 pm

I'm thinking the answer is no but...

I've got LOADS of size1 and small nappies (and various BTP nappies too) all of which start between 7-8lbs and 10lbs and in theory if bump is on time it will be around 7lbs... Most of them are nippa (or nippa-able) too so can in theory fit smaller altho' they'd be extremely bulky...

But I feel like I don't have that many Newborn size nappies - in theory great as they're grown out of so quickly but...
I've got
2 x XS MinnieO pockets
6 x XS Sandies - yet to be dyed
1 x newborn John Lennon fabric Fitted (not sure of the make on this but it's cute!!)
1 x Sunbums NB
1 x Muttaquin NB
1 x Enchanted Nursery NB
So that's only 12 newborn size nappies which could easily be gone through in a day!! BUT the Size1/small nappies might well fit...
I'm not sure how easy bambino mio size1 prefolds are to use on a newborn either (think I'd try nippa-ing rather than padfolded...)

I'm thinking I've got plenty of time so could get hold of some pre-loved diddy diapers or similar...

The Jimmy Riddles small looks smaller than cotton tots size one too so probably usable earlier...

Plus a ton of prefolds which I'd rather not use but are going to be backup nappies... (But I'd rather not use to be honest)

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Do I need more newborn size nappies?

Postby Rae » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:22 pm

Yes I think you have enough, but if you have spare cash sitting around your house then you can always buy an extra few.

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:24 pm

Hmm, I was contemplating a similar question just last night. I was thinking around 20 nb nappies with prefolds as backups as Harriet was quite a low birth weight even though she was only 2 weeks early. We used prefolds very successfully when Harriet was born but we found them rather wrap intensive IYKWIM? I thought i'd probably get a pack of muslins too :?

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:33 pm

Hmmm I'm sure, if you have size 1's that could possibly be used I think I would stick with that. YOu never know bub might be a bit bigger and then you would get no use out of them what so ever! Luckily I had only 3 newborn sized nappies for William because they only lasted (seriously) a week! Maybe if you get some more BTP that you know fit from 7ish lbs.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:36 pm

I wouldn't buy anymore. Charlotte was only 7lbs 4oz and we successfully used MEOS on her for the first 3 months - yes they were bulky but then she only wore sleepsuits most of the time in the beginning anyway

If the baby does turn out to be tiny, you can always order some more but in all honesty I wouldn't waste your money as they will be grown out of so quickly. I got rid of all Ben's size one nappies pretty early on as we discovered we preferred pockets and are now exclusively using medium or onesize pockets and have been for some time. I know he was 7lbs 15oz but not huge - he grew out of is Swaddlebees OV newborn within weeks :wink:

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:38 pm

If you have BGs they should be fine from birth, and you have bamboo squares too I seem to recall so you should have plenty! I would save you money and spend it on nappies that will last longer!!

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:48 pm

Oh yeah, totally agree - there are such lovely onesize and larger sized nappies that will last longer that you should save your pennies for :wink:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:53 pm

Excellent - I think if I bought anymore small nappies DH might have something to say :lol:
Onesize nappies I can pretend are for nights for Isabelle and I had forgotten I need to buy more bamboo terries - they are only inserts right? :hohoho:

I do have ONE nappy to buy which is a small northern lights... But I think that's it for my small nappies list - I should post an updated list... Will do a pic when they've all arrived!! Just waiting for the LHC ones now and the northern lights (and matching wraps) will be ordered in the new year I think :mrgreen:

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:22 pm

Summer's small NL still has plenty of growing room, and I know I've posted the link before but for cheap 40cm bamboo squares go to boocoo

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat