Leaking Tots Bots at 7 months-panic!

My avatar
ecort
Clothie
Clothie

Postby ecort » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:41 pm

Hi,

I'm brand new to the cloth nappy tree but in search of some advice from experienced cloth users!

My son is 7 months now and has been in Tots Bots v4 since he was 8 weeks. Suddenly all the nappies leak around the leg within an hour, it was even 30 min this morning!

I've recently done a strip wash as I live in a hard water area, have only ever used the Potion recommended by Tots Bots and do a pre wash, wash at 60C then another rinse.

All Tots Bots have to say is "Leaking through the holes at the seams is not unusual and comes from having to put a hole in the fabric".

Do you have any suggestions as I really want cloth to work but can't keep changing his nappy and clothes every hour!

My avatar
The Tree Fairy
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict
Site Supporter

Postby The Tree Fairy » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:06 pm

Hi ecort. Welcome to Cloth Nappy Tree :wave:

I hope you enjoy using the site - there are plenty of areas to explore, if you can't find something or have any questions just ask, everyone is friendly and helpful :-D

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Leaking Tots Bots at 7 months-panic!

Postby littlesez » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:24 pm

Is the whole nappy saturated ? Or is it leaking through the leg hole

My avatar
ecort
Clothie
Clothie

Postby ecort » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:41 pm

Nappy isn't at all soaked, the back of it is bone dry. Just leaking round the legs.

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:30 pm

Hi and welcome!
My first guess would be that he's power wee-ing.
I've not used that particular nappy but could you add a booster to the front or fold the insert to the front to cater for large boys wees?

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:09 am

Welcome :wave:
I can't remember what the v. 4 is made of but I am thinking 2 things:
1. Wrong fit
2. Wrong kind of absorbency

1 could be a matter of adjusting it bigger or smaller. No reason to give up on the TBs yet.
2 find out what they are made of and depending on that I would ad either something that absorbs quicker or something that can hold a lot off pee

And do let us now how the testing is going :)

My avatar
ecort
Clothie
Clothie

Postby ecort » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:04 am

Thank you all for such quick replies!

So far we have adjusted the fit, pulling the tabs tighter which tightens the bits around his legs. This has helped on some of the nappies.

The nappies are made from terry towelling and microfibre and I use a fleece liner on the top. I've got some bamboo boosters, I'll try adding those too.

Is there anything I could use that would absorb quicker than bamboo?

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:44 am

Microfibre is the fastest but doesn't hold much and tends to compression wicking (wee comes out if squeezed / sat on etc).
Bamboo is pretty good and should work well to hold more liquid if under the microfibre/ towelling.
Let us know how it goes!

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby LynniferT » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:29 pm

We often have a wet front of the nappy and a dry back....I'd say boosting and folding for a boy will help. I know DS4 tends to leak when he power wees and if a nappy isnt boosted in the 'leak' zone, we are in trouble ;)

Its also a good excuse to try new nappies types...i hear the peanut is good if you like the totsbots fit ;)

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat