hf1

First time stash

My avatar
jess2811
Clothie
Clothie

First time stash

Postby jess2811 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:28 pm

So after (too) much research and angst, I have ordered a "stash" of cloth nappies. I'm still second guessing myself, and I ended up spending so much money I think because I ordered lots of separate things. Now I'm worried about that fact that baby will probably grow out of most of these within 4 months, and then I'll need to buy even more! I wanted to be super prepared, and not have to worry about getting anything else for a long time which is why I ordered the different sizes.

I know I can sell nappies, but I had hoped to hang on to them for a second child.

I am wondering if I made the right choice with regards to sizing...

Anyway, any thoughts, feedback, reassurances, advice would be welcome!

I got:

15x newborn fitteds (GMD workhorse from the States, fits birth to 11 or 12 pounds)
3x thirsties duo 1 covers
6x newborn thirsties AIOs
2x Sustainablebabyish Happy Little Clouds (I'm thinking for overnights, and that they will fit at least as long as the small fitteds do)

plus

13x "small" fitteds (fits 9 to 15 pounds)
1x flip cover
2x thirsties duo 2 covers
6x one size thirsties AIOs
2x Grovia hybrid shells with 4x stay dry inserts.

So, really only 8 "one size" options! I think really I should have skipped the small and gone from newborn to mediums... but I bought the smalls first thinking I could skip the newborns...then changed my mind... argh.

So much angst.

My avatar
AppleTree
Clothie
Clothie

Re: First time stash

Postby AppleTree » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:46 pm

Just a quick post to say that my newborn needed soooooo many nappy changes (frequent poos!), so you may be pleased to have a good stash for the early days.

You can always buy more of the bigger sizes when you have a better idea of your baby's shape / absorbency needs. It's pretty much impossible to predict what will work best anyway, so growing your BTP stash over time makes a lot of sense.

Congratulations on your imminent bundle of joy, and don't worry! :)

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:36 pm

Looks like a fab stash! I think most clothies, buy and then sell on when they are outgrown or don't suit baby. It is a bit of an investment but way better than shelling out for sposies and bin bags each week.

Enjoy the trial and error experiment, keep us informed!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:38 pm

I had sub 7lb baby first, then a 10lber so these different babies needed different stashes. It's a good excuse to shop imo!

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:48 pm

Looks like a great newborn stash :thumbsup: IMO its better to wait with the bigger diapers for egen you know your babys shape and needs. When my 4 year old was newborn she was primarily in fitteds and then it changed to OS pockets when she was around 6-7 month. We loved fitteds with covers :love:

My avatar
jess2811
Clothie
Clothie

Postby jess2811 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:07 am

Thanks everyone! I guess that's a point, I'll have to see what will work for her as she grows anyway :)

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat