Newborn nappy wonderings

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Newborn nappy wonderings

Postby Bumboleo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:46 am

Hello!

I'm due my second son in November and just getting all the cloth nappies down to sort through.

This time fitted sized nappies are really taking my fancy for some reason, something is telling me to buy some Little Lambs. I absolutely loved LL wraps last time and I think their fitted nappies look the nicest shape/cut?

Anyway my main query is, shall I just get the most absorbent ones (bamboo) to cover all bases, or should I get a quicker drying type and boost if necessary? I do like the slimness of the nappies so maybe go for the most absorbent... but they take ages to dry?

With my son I mainly only used One Size Pockets for day (most cost effective I thought) and bamboozles for night, and we stopped using cloth at 18 months because they just couldn't cope with his wees (I tried so many different boosters, hemp with microfibre etc). Something this time is telling me to use fitteds!

My newborn plan is to mainly use muslins/terries until size 1s fit properly, then move onto the fitteds or pockets.

If I have one-size bamboozles already, is it silly to buy some sized bamboo nappies?

Thanks, sorry for so many questions!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Newborn nappy wonderings

Postby clothmama » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:46 am

Didn't want to read and run but I'm on my way out, will be back later!

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:30 am

Congratulations @bumboleo

Can you try a couple of each to find what works for you?
I loved the fit of ll, however Percy reacted to MF, and the bamboo took too long to dry for me to be faffed with washing to many during the early shart-machine days, so quickly progressed to thinner cotton nappies, and used bamboo ll at night.

I'd still love them in the day now, but DH is their SAHP and he prefers AIOs so still a night only option for Willow (not absorbent enough for Percy these days with his tube feeds)

Do you have a nappy library nearby?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:44 am

Congratulations :yahoo: :wine: @Bumboleo

I'm a great believer in having a good few different types of nappies, especially in the early days - it is so much easier to grab the right nappy for the job if you have different ones to choose from - so yes some bamboo fitteds would be great - especially at night / long trip etc but there is the drying issue so don't just have them. I really loved the Little Lambs fitted pockets in size 1 they were just fabulous, @ems101 recommended them and she was right (I was sceptical about pockets on a NB). I had a mix of bamboo and cotton sized fitted / pockets and terry squares and good wraps - I found this a really good mix in terms of drying time v lots of choice on absorbency.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:48 am

Here's a link to what I had in my stash that worked really well if you need some inspiration!
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=120003

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Bumboleo » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:04 am

Thanks to both of you!

So I'm getting the impression that sized nappies are the key rather than one size, maybe. Almost every nappy I had last time was a one-size and a lot of the time they weren't the best fit or v bulky.

I have for this baby/leftover from son:

cotton terries
bamboo terries
muslins (never used as a nappy before!)
LL one size pockets
CB one size pockets
Totsbots Easifits mainly for the prints :giggle:
LL wraps
Motherease wraps
Soooooooo many inserts of all fabrics!

So maybe if I add some sized nappies, either pockets or the LL fitted ones, that would give me a good range to try.

Thanks for the list of your stash @clothmama, I'll have a look now.

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Bumboleo » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:26 pm

Right this has got me in the mood to sort through all our nappies, so this is what I have. I think it looks like I have enough for the newborn phase?

I didn’t use cloth until my son was about 2 months old, when he went into One Sizes (massive on him), hence all the questions! We switched to disposables at about 18 months because of so many leaks which I think was mainly down to being a massive wetter but also partially the fit of the one sizes.

Did you find that Sized nappies are generally a better fit? My main bugbear with my son was having big gaps/a cumbersome fit and therefore leaks. I feel like fitteds look so much neater. But I had already stocked up on One Sizes (told myself it was most cost effective). I’d be happy to sell my One Sizes though. Might get a couple of Fitteds to try - will enquire with nappy library or buy.

Newborn day:
16 size 1 Bambino Mio prefolds
9 60x60 cotton terries - look enormous to use on a newborn!
6 50x50 bamboo terries - much better size for newborn looks like
3x size 1 Little Lamb wraps
Lots of muslins - have never used as nappy but maybe good for first week??

2x One Size Blueberry Coveralls (look massive for a newborn!)
1x Milovia One Size cover
1x Totsbots One Size cover
3x Motherease Airflow - not a fan but will keep for backup.

Night?:
1x Holdens Landing fitted nappy - looks lovely and small
1x Ellas House Small fitted nappy
I have bought a pack of disposables so could use them for newborn nights

So sounds like newborn is sorted? Maybe get some fitteds for nighttime?

Just for fun, here’s the rest of my stash - most are One Size -

4x Bambino Mio AIOs - never a fan of these except the prints!
7x ancient threadbare Totsbots (original version?) - not v absorbent, 4th hand I reckon, get rid!
3x Totsbots Easifit v4 - love the fit
8x Charlie Banana OS Pockets - loved them
7x Little Lamb OS Pockets - always found these gape/big!
3x Grovia O.N.E
1x Baby City OS Pocket
1x Baba & Boo OS Pocket
1x Milovia OS Pocket
1x Wonderoo Minky OS Pocket
1x Chinese cheapie OS Pocket (charcoal!)
2x Ellas House Large Fitted
9x Totsbots bamboozles, 3 ancient
3x Large gnappies

22 ish hemp inserts
60 ish !! bamboo inserts
21 microfibre inserts
10x unknown fabric inserts

2x Small wool cover
2x large wool cover
2x Kangacare wetbag :)

I think that’s it but haven’t come across my fleece liners yet so maybe there’s another bag somewhere!

Wondering whether to get rid of the ones I didn’t like, but maybe they’ll be great for this baby? Am on a nesting rampage so please forgive my ramblings and probably OTT investment in these decisions =D

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:25 am

Bumboleo wrote:I think it looks like I have enough for the newborn phase?

You probably do but if you do want to get some more you can always add some size one fitteds as he'll fit into those pretty quickly and the prefolds and terries will see you through until then. You could always get a few NB fitteds too if you can't help fall for the cute factor :giggle: !!

Bumboleo wrote:Did you find that Sized nappies are generally a better fit?

Absolutely they are - particularly when baby is small, I find after about 6 months the one sized are great and can be used with a good fit through until potty training but I've always gone with sized for that first 6-9 months and then had a mix of OS and sized as there will be weeks where one or the other don't seem to fit as well as before but then another growth spurt and they come good again!
Bumboleo wrote:I feel like fitteds look so much neater. But I had already stocked up on One Sizes (told myself it was most cost effective). I’d be happy to sell my One Sizes though.

They do fit neater but again only really for that first period then they are fine - I wouldn't sell the OS just yet or maybe your least favorites and add some sized to your collection.
Bumboleo wrote:Wondering whether to get rid of the ones I didn’t like, but maybe they’ll be great for this baby?
Probably worth keeping hold of as this could well be the case.
Bumboleo wrote:Am on a nesting rampage so please forgive my ramblings and probably OTT investment in these decisions =D

Perfectly normal I had lots of threads with my ramblings this time 3 years ago :hohoho: :hohoho: @Bumboleo

My avatar
Bumboleo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Bumboleo » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:28 am

Thanks so much @clothmama , this really is so helpful. Yay I'm soooo excited to get some cloth on him bumbo!

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat