hf1

Questions from a friend...

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Questions from a friend...

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:13 pm

Hi guys can you help me add to this? I'll point her to the newborn review and put some of my answers below...
It's a shame I don't live closer to her to show her some nappies myself!! (She's west midlands...)

I have a few random questions about nappies. I have been checking out clothnappytree, but can only stand reading it for a few mins before my head starts to swim, so...How many do you think I'll need for newborn, and how long do they last before they are outgrown? Is it worth also buying the next size up, or will there be sufficient warning for us to get our act together and buy them as needed?
Which style and brand of nappies would you recommend and why? What's a good price? I have heard that you can get deals on buying a few at a time. Cheers!

I wouldn't buy the next size up yet as you won't know what you get on with at this stage and don't want to buy nappies that you discover later you hate (or love but want diff colours etc!) and I would say you'll get fair warning...
It's best to start with a few different ones so you can discover what you like.
How long they last REALLY varies from child to child :? It depends how big baby will be when he/she is born and how quickly they grow... For example a 9/10lb baby won't fit newborn sized nappies for very long (like a few weeks) and will be straight into size one whereas a 6lbs baby will be fine in newborn for a few weeks longer and size one will look a bit bulky (altho' this isn't too bad...)
On the whole it's better to buy size 1 nappies rather than newborn or XS nappies as they'll last so much longer...
Size one will usually last anything from 4months to 6months approx and size 2 will usually last until 18-24months (in terms of fitteds) but again this varies from nappy to nappy and child to child...

I'm not sure how many to recommend - as I know I've got looooooads but I'm not sure you really need that many ;)
I would recommend fitteds with wraps (either ME or weenotions or naturebabies) as the most reliable - and venturing into pockets later probably...

As for which specific ones... Well it all depends really...

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Questions from a friend...

Postby AnnetteandBen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:58 pm

How many? - Um I too probably have too many, but until Benjamin was sleeping through the night (about 5 or 6 months old) we were using up to 12 nappies a day. He would have 11 nappy changes in 24 hours and 9 times out of 10, 1 would be piddled on before it was done up. Also you have to allow for washing and drying time, a nappy wash with a cold prewash, 60 degrees and extra rinse takes my machine 3 hours, no idea how long a tumble drier would take, but line drying indoors for me takes 24 hours. Summer time outside in the sunshine takes the day. So I was washing 24 nappies every other day, so needed 36 to get me through the washing and drying for 3 days.

I couldn't fault little lambs (cotton as I haven't tried the others versions) especially in the size 1's - these come out slightly smaller than the tots bots cotton and to me are a really good price for the number of nappies you get - you can also dylon them if you want colours! When we moved to size 2's the tots had also stopped fitting.

I personally would also recommend some onesize nappies as they fit from about 8lbs or less and still fit most toddlers - helpful when money can be tight and you need to change to size 2's. Something really indulgent but lovely to me is the swaddlebees OV onesize - the great thing about these onesizes is they have a medium size setting too, so you get three sizes for 1 price. Motherease onesize are a popular onesize nappy too, but much more bulky on a small child than the swaddlebees.

If I needed to compile a shopping list again while pregnant and money was no object and you were using cloth 100% from day one, I would get something like
little lambs - 10 if you have a drier, 20 if you don't
swaddlebees onesize - 2 or 3 or more if you can afford!
40 x 40 bamboo squares from babeco x 6 or more (jo fold and nippas work well as tiny nappies, then they can be used later to boost nappies / stuff pockets so you will get your money's worth)
wraps - weenotions are lovely to look at (I didn't try these on tiny) Motherease rikki even the XS small was massive on Ben to start, bummis / cotton bottoms were a firm favourite of mine.
A pocket nappy or 2 can be handy too so something like a Happy Heiny onesize or bumgenius,

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:56 pm

Thanks Annette that was really helpful, I've included various bits of your reply to her - little lambs are a good staple basic to start with I think (tho' I've only got one...)

We'll see what she decides :) She's going to try having a read of the NB reviews on here too :)

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:26 pm

what annette said was good!!

about 30 nappies would be good for a newborn. even if she has a tumbledryer, its best to use it as little as possible anyway. i would probably get 12-15 size ones, then the rest in BTP. then you have plently of nappies for a newborn, and half them wont be grown out of for ages! babykind does 5% discount if you order more than 10 of one thing.

while its good to have different types of nappies, if your friend is already confused and just starting out then 20 different nappies might just make it worse! maybe best to read the reviews, get some advice, and pick 3 or 4 different ones altogether, at least until she gets the hang of it, and decides if she prefers 2-parters or pockets etc.

my SIL is pg and she mentioned she might like to use cloth. im not sure if she will yet, but if she asks my advice i will probably recommend:

10-12 size one nappies (tots bots, flexitots, little lambs or diddy diapers)
10-12 BTP fitteds (motherease, bambeasies, and swaddlebees OSOV)
10-12 pockets like wonderoos, weenotions and bumgenius

then il be knitting woolliesand making more washable wipes and liners than she'll know what to do with!!

if buying quite a few nippa nappies id also advise getting half a dozen nippas!! they always get lost :? enough liners to last until the wash, but they dry almost immediatley so wouldnt need the same as the nappies. and maybe 1-2 wipes per nappy, if she is using washable ones. a big bucket. industrial size bottle of tea-tree oil. industrial tub of soda bicarb.

i wish i was buying my nappy collection all over again!! xx

My avatar
frankie_n_baby
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby frankie_n_baby » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:15 pm

Hello! I posted on this thread before but it seems to have disappeared. I am the "mystery friend", and was thrilled when Steph told me she had started a thread on here to help with my questions and after having looked and liked what I saw, I couldn't resist joining! I think I've been bitten :lol: Thanks so much for your replies (I did manage to read some of them that have since disappeared) they've been v helpful.
I do have a drier, if need be, and as I'm expecting in May, I hope to also be able to line dry during the really intensive nappy changing period. I am also v short, but hubbie is tall, so not sure whether I'll end up with a smaller than average or a larger baby (in terms of nappy size). All tips very gratefully received :coolbaby:

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat