hf1

Bicarbonate of soda big box!!

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Bicarbonate of soda big box!!

Postby gayleygoo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:33 pm

if anyone cant find large quantities of soda bicarbonate, you can get it in boots. i think its less than £2 for 500g, which is a bit cheaper than tescos. our "local" supermarket also does kg tubs but ive never been able to find it anywhere else! i hate buying the small tubs then running out in a week! xx

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Bicarbonate of soda big box!!

Postby Frances » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:42 pm

Thanks for the tip. How much do you use? I usually put in about a tablespoon but I'm guessing that's not enough?!

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:24 am

Wha does this do please? I put a spoon of mothercare nappy soak in our wash but was wondering if this could replace it?
Im not even sure why i put it in :hohoho:

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:33 am

It strips smells from the nappies - every couple of weeks I put some bicarb in with the nappies on a cold rinse, then wash as normal afterwards. It really does work!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:13 pm

Good tip Francis thanks. xx

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:55 pm

I stopped using bicarb every nappy wash after all the elastin in the legs started going :shock: apparently it's not great for PUL either... :?
But other people have used it with no problems and occasional use shouldn't be a problem...

I stick a handful at the bottom of my nappy bucket though to combat smells... AND it's fab for helping get whiffs out of DH's sweaty work shirts :lol:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:50 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:I stopped using bicarb every nappy wash after all the elastin in the legs started going :shock: apparently it's not great for PUL either... :?
But other people have used it with no problems and occasional use shouldn't be a problem...

I stick a handful at the bottom of my nappy bucket though to combat smells... AND it's fab for helping get whiffs out of DH's sweaty work shirts :lol:

Will get some then to put in our stinky nappy bucket, phew they don't half get smelly!!!!

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:15 pm

its great for putting in the nappy bucket, or a tbsp in the wash every so often. also good for using in homemade cleaning products, and stripping the washing machine on high temperatures...its a very useful thing and i go throw a lot of it!! :D xx

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat