hf1

What material do you recommend?

My avatar
frankie_n_baby
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

What material do you recommend?

Postby frankie_n_baby » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:04 am

Hi all, being new to this, I was wondering what choice of material in a cloth nappy you would recommend (e.g. cotton, bamboo, microfibre etc.) for a new mum-to-be and why? As far as I can see, bamboo is lovely and soft but takes longer to dry and microfibre doesn't always wear so well. Am wondering about cotton. Am planning to bf if that helps, and line dry but have drier, too.
I am thinking of getting a few little lambs to start with and generally like the idea of 2 part with nappy nippas. I was also thinking of fleece liners as that seems to be the most popular choice. Any thoughts?

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: What material do you recommend?

Postby flutterby » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:15 am

I think I'd go for cotton little lambs as they dry much quicker than bamboo, you can always add an extra booster as LO starts to wet more!! I just don't like microfibre. not sure why! My bamboo LL is probably one if the last to dry!

Fleece liners are good, but in all honesty I've given up on liners entirely!

My avatar
frankie_n_baby
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby frankie_n_baby » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:26 am

Hi Hanna,

Thanks for that. I feel a bit adverse to the idea of microfibre, too, tbh. What made you decide to not use liners?

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:56 am

I'm just not organised enough, liners are never there when I'm changing nappies, we have lots of pockets which obv don't need liners, and the fitteds it seems a shame not to have the lovely natural fabrics next to babie's bot, especially if it's a yummy bamboo or cotton velour nappy which alot of ours are! Basically it's just laziness, :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho:

My avatar
frankie_n_baby
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby frankie_n_baby » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:56 pm

:lol: :lol: Ah, well I am rather lazy, too :wink: I must admit that it does seem a shame when I look at some of the lovely pocket fabrics. Mmm. I know what my first size 1s will be, just looking at what brand of btp and what pockets to try (planning on getting just a few to see how I go). Ta muchly!

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:01 pm

another one with an aversion to microfibre nappies here, don;t mind it as extra stuffing in pockets but hate it as a nappy fabric :?

I am a fan of the bamboo but then I always tumble my nappies so drying time not an issue, saying that though there were no bamboo nappies when Lucas was new so I used the cotton little lambs with him and they worked perfectly :wink:

To be honest I only started using liners when the poop started to become solid :wink: and then I would sometimes use fleece but mainly the really soft paper ones so I could flush it all :D even then I would/will only use the liner if I am expecting a poop, otherwise we are liner free.

jan x

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:30 pm

We never had any microfibre nappies either (and I still don't for bump) but wouldn't buy one as the microfibre pockets inserts are quite sweaty so as microfibre is a manmade fibre I don't want my baby getting a sweaty bum ;) :lol:

Bamboo is nice (and beautifully soft when new!) and cotton is good too - I've gone for a mixture of cotton and bamboo... Bamboo is much slower than cotton to dry though and doesn't keep its softness very well if you wash at 60 (which is advised until baby is 6months or so) or if you tumbledry it (which I confess to doing for speed!)

Bamboo velour is wonderfull stuff but should never be tumble-dried, bamboo terry is fab but I found it tends to go crunchy after a while...

With Isabelle we got rashes if we didn't use fleece liners but I think she had/has super sensitive skin... It was only once she reached toddler-dom that we could get away with using paper or no liners although I still use fleece liners in her fitted night nappies (not the pockets)...

Sorry if I'm not making any sense!

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:33 pm

why should BV not be tumble dried?? I do and it is fine

jan x

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:41 pm

JanX wrote:why should BV not be tumble dried?? I do and it is fine

jan x

Just because it doesn't stay quite so silky smooth :)

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat