hf1

Argggg! Looong rant

My avatar
Mum2aMiracle
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Argggg! Looong rant

Postby Mum2aMiracle » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:29 pm

After buying a beautiful stash of WNOS DD has decided to become a super soaker :x and I mean big time she drenched a pocket stuffed with 8 layers of bamboo terry and a 3 layer hemp booster in wait for it.............one hour :shock: :shock:

As for all the lovely minkee stay dry linings forget it! they are drenched too, which means what happens? they wick like mad :x :( :evil: :roll: and I have to change her whole outfit. At home I change DD EVERY 2 hours and even then that might not been soon enough. When we are out that's when things get even worse, as I never seem to make it in time to change her so have to do the full outfit change aswell.

I'm getting really fed up of all the leaks but I don't want to give up my cloth that I love so much, I just want the problem to disappear or for DD to be a normal wetter :roll: I decided to try stuffing a BG thinking it wouldn't wick, well it didn't wick but the inserts were so soaked and heavy they dragged the nappy down so in theory she could pee out the side, but technically we didn't have a leak.

Now I am seriously considering going back to fitteds, we do fitteds at night with wool with no issues whatsoever. I'm just so frustrated that I bought this beautiful stash that I now can't use on DD :( and can't really afford to re-buy a whole stash at once. I am pinning all my hopes on the new Flutterby Fluff 12 layer bamboo fleece fitted as this is the best fabric for DD which really lasts. We used to use BBH at night till her thighs got too chunky :lol: and I loved them. I purposely bought GN OS with the hopes of using them on #2 (if and when) but I hate having things that are not used sitting in the cupboard but on the other hand I can't bear to part with these gorgeous nappies, I am so fickle :roll:

I use bamboo inserts (petite dessous short loop terry) and hemp boosters to stuff the pockets as I always find bamboo more absorbent over hemp, I tried adding a fleece liner to the minkee lined pockets but I can't say it really made much difference. I also use Itti Bitti's (which prior to the super soaker I loved and still do) but they are even worse than the pockets. Basically I consider making it to the 2 hour mark without wet clothes an achievement :roll: Help meeeeeeeeeee!!!! I'm buying some longies for daywear as I only have nighttime soakers, but I also need some PUL wraps, I didn't think I'd be going back here, so recommendations welcome, I prefer poppers, I really detest applix. As for the stay dry linings DD having a wet bum is a real hang up of mine, as I just think I'd hate to be sat in wet pants, but when used in fitted will they make a difference with my super soaker? or will they just wimp out and drown like the pocket linings?
Sorry for the novel :oops: and thanks for reading.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Argggg! Looong rant

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:44 pm

A few questions for you :)

One: How yold is your DD? Sorry I don't remember :oops:

Two: That much stuffing should last fine especially if she's ok in fitteds unless your fitteds are even more padded than that?
Could it be that the pockets are being overstuffed? As you say the BG didn't wick I think this could be the case here...
If the minkee liners are drenched could it be that the wee isn't actually soaking in properly - are all the inserts really soaked or just wet at the front?

Although I have to say Minkee does wick a little more than a standard poly outer like a BG... :?

Three: Inserts: two possible issues here: Buildup of detergent meaning they're not fully absorbent at the moment (so you'd need to do a strip wash with no detergent and rinse rinse rinse until all bubbles are gone)
Secondly how many times have your hemp and bamboo been washed? Bamboo needs a fair few washes and hemp needs at least 12 before it reaches optimum absorbency.

Four: What does she wear over them? Could it be that clothing is causing pressure wicking?

Five: How much / what does she drink during the day? If she drinks a LOT of juice you may need to move her onto water as I know whavever age Isabelle was if she was given juice she'd drink it by the bucket load and wee accordingly but if she has water and milk she drinks more sensibly e.g. only when actually thirsty not just because it tastes nice and sweet :lol: (especially now she only has milk for breakfast and bed, rest of the time is water or nothing!)

Bamboo is more absorbent than hemp in-terms of quickness to absorb... Hemp is more of a long-haul absorbency as it grabs the wetness and locks it away but it's not so good for power-wees or flood-wees

Personally I think Itti bitti's though cute are absolutely useless for even medium-heavy wetters so I think you'll need to sell those sadly... When Isabelle was approaching being ready for potty training they wouldn't last long at all...

Provided your liners aren't clogged with detergent build-up or cream then fleece liners are the best for stay-dry ability... DD having a wet bum though, provided she's not getting a rash this shouldn't be an issue, and will benefit you when she comes to potty train later although I would say some sort of liner is essential for poo disposal help :)... Fleece will be better than minkee for stay-dryness too I would say...

Erm appart from recommendations I think I've covered all areas? :?
Hope that helps a little...

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:59 pm

Not much to add to the excellent advice above

but sams a v heavy wetter and we are really struggling with pockets at the mo; my best ones are funky nappies as they have a large pocket and seem not to wick, stuffed withmf on top of hemp or bamboo, but they are hard to get hold of :cry:

we also use fitteds but i have to boost all of them with hemp boosters, which make an enourous bum :babyroll:

My avatar
Mum2aMiracle
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Mum2aMiracle » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:02 pm

Thanks so much for your reply.
I'll try to answer all your Qs
DD is 13mths and about 20lbs.
The only fitteds I use are at night, they are paddy Ts and Nature babies big softee with a babeco bamboo night pad (8 layers) and an EH hemp booster (3 layer) these are fab and last 12-13hrs and the stya dry lining does just that :D , I have tried using the same inserts in a pocket nappy for day with no difference, which has lead me to believe it is the pockets that are the problem :cry:
All inserts have been washed dozens of times, I really don't think there is detergent build up issues, as the inserts are totally soaked through from top to toe and soaking properly.
As for what she wears over the top it's not usually anything tight, dresses and tights or velour leggings or babylegs.
I totally hear ya on the drinking she drinks gallons and I know that isn't helping matters, but I don't like to deprive her if she is genuinely thirsty, I will try offering more water and see how we go.
I almost never use cream on her bum so the liners should not be clogged and I've even got brand new ones that definately haven't had cream on.
She is getting through so many nappies a day the washing routine is becoming more frequent and the infernal stuffing of pockets with all the different inserts is doing me in :roll: I don't have a dryer so our house looks like a chinese laundry with inserts hanging off every available radiator :lol:

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby kt24 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:07 pm

We struggle to get anything other than a plain Pul pocket to last more than 1 1/2 and even those don't last much longer. Once both the boys hit about 15-16 months and starting holding the wee and doing bigger ones they just flood the pocket and it can't soak it up fast enough and it wicks round the legs. So if we are going out it has to be a fitted for the reliability.

What a shame about your beautiful stash. Do try all of Steph's excellent suggestions before you sell them though.

My avatar
Mum2aMiracle
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Mum2aMiracle » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:21 pm

It's nice to know I'm not alone in my problem and I will try any suggestions. I just have to learn some patience and hold onto my WNOS for #2 as they will be fine for the younger/lighter wetting stage and I've only had them 2mths!. So i guess fitteds it is then, if only I'd known fitteds were the way to go for heavy wetters, I should have stopped my fluffy spending spree :roll: , it's funny but I've been resistent to fitteds from the start (DD aged 3.5mths) and now they are my best option, I really should start listening to advice more :lol: I could never understand why everyone loved them so much, I really liked the simplicity of pockets/AI2 and now they are anything but simple.

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:24 pm

I definitely agreee about switching juice to water. If she is genuinely thirsty she will drink water I'm sure.

You could also try putting a wrap over the pockets or wear longies with them.

My avatar
Mum2aMiracle
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Mum2aMiracle » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:36 pm

babyroo wrote:You could also try putting a wrap over the pockets or wear longies with them.

I had thought of this but I don't own any pul wraps, I do have one on the way though in preparation for fitted stash building :lol: and obviously the longies from you, may have to come back for another pair once I know they are a good fit :wink: I have so many colour combos in my head :lol:

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:03 pm

Can't add much to all this good advice other than to say that my DD went through a similar phase (not as drastic!) as yours at around the same age. We stopped wearing vests that popper underneath as I was advised on here that the vest might be pressing on the inserts. I also use microfibre with hemp or bamboo as I thinkit absorbs w=quicker to start with (having said that I have had good successs with hemp and bamboo combos)

But my main point is that whilst we got the leaking sorted out at the time, she has become less of a heavy wetter as she has got older and more active - I don't know if that is nonsense but it's how it has seemed. So I wouldn't give up on your WN stash just yet!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat