hf1

My wool longies leaked

My avatar
CheniseMuM
Clothie
Clothie

My wool longies leaked

Postby CheniseMuM » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:57 pm

Hi i brought some wool longies from flowertot pots and put them on my dd but she fell asleep for ages and they leaked suppose coz nappy was on for too long, i had to put them in the washing machine on a cold wash to get smell out now they arnt water proof for very long. Do they need relanolising?

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: My wool longies leaked

Postby Allie » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:16 pm

Hi

Yes if they are new then they will probably need lanolising for the first few washes and then they should be ok.

hth

My avatar
CheniseMuM
Clothie
Clothie

Postby CheniseMuM » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:12 pm

Thanks where can i buy this from and how do you do it thanks, Also i notice when she wears them her nappy is dyed a pink colour.

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:05 pm

Have a look here for lanolising instructions

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=7281

Lots of places sell lanolin and you can also buy scented woolly washes, Pixie Knits and Bums n Roses are a good place to start :D

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:59 pm

Just to add that although they may have been smelly when you took them off her, they probably didn't need washing - the beauty of wool is that you leave them to dry and the smell will go away. Wool doesn't need washing very often as the lanolin helps to keep it clean - you know they need washing when they stay smelly after you've left them to air dry.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:38 pm

the colour can run out of wool the first few times too, but I have found the dye always washed out of the nappy and or sheet!

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:05 pm

yep, a few more lanolisings should do the trick, i usually find mine need at least 2 for normal wear and 3 times for nighttime wear. the dye in the wool should probably wash out of the nappies as its not designed to "fix" on plant fabrics like cotton, bamboo or hemp...but as with all dyed items theres always a chance of dye leakage so its maybe best if you dont use them over your favourite nappies until they've been washed once or twice!

Gayle xx

My avatar
CheniseMuM
Clothie
Clothie

Postby CheniseMuM » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:51 am

Yes i tried leaving them to dry first but still smelt funny go washed, thanks for the tips ill try and get some and have a go. Wool seems to be easier with my heavy wetter. They were brand new.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat