Confession Time

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Confession Time

Postby jules070603 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:27 pm

I'm using dispicables at the moment :oops:

I don't particulary like the fact that I'm using them (and spending money on them) :evil: but here are my reasons

1 The nappies all smell really bad in the morning, and the nappy bucket is revolting once there are a couple in. I have tried everything and can't make it better, I'm really upset about this as they all fit really well :(

2 Zach is getting bad rashes around his thighs in cloth and they just get worse until I take him out of cloth. The first rash got infected and he was on antibiotic cream which cleared it up but put him back in cloth and the same thing happened again. And again.

I have tried washing with a full dose of powder then rinse rinse rinse
Washing in bicarbonate of soda
I always do a cool rinse then a 40 and I've even tried a 60 wash.

I think the rash might be caused by the wraps as its only around his inner thighs and the only other time Zach has ever had rashes was at teething stages with icky poo. I have tried extra boosting so that the outer of the nappy is less wet but that hasn't helped. The wraps are mainly fleece ones from wee notions so have lycra bindings.

Can I was in soda crystals and can I wash everything in it (i.e. PUL)?

Zach is in nappies at night and for naps but its the night nappies causing the issues.

I wish I could get Zach back in them :cry: :cry: :cry:

My avatar
Mum2aMiracle
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Confession Time

Postby Mum2aMiracle » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:55 pm

I'm so sorry your little man is suffering, I don't have alot of advice to give but if you think the wraps may be the culprit you could try stacinator so simple wrap as they have no elastic and just nice soft fleece leg cuffs, if you can't afford to buy new wraps, you could try making some fleece "thigh cuffs" to put on then put the wrap over the top so the wrap isn't touching his skin and the the cuffs protect his skin, if that makes sense.

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby clairelana » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:58 pm

>:D<
What a shame.

Have you tried pockets or wool instead of wraps?

>:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:02 pm

Jules, could it be that there is maybe latex or something in the lycra on his wraps, perhaps he is allergic???

Will have a think, on the smell front not sure but we have noticed that since we had to put Gracie on to soya milk her nappies smell a bit more than usual and her poops are just rank!! :hohoho:

Like Claire said have you tried pockets? I could spare a couple of medium fuzzies if you wanted to give them a go?? xx

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:10 pm

>:D< >:D< >:D<
i am having the same issue with red thighs with sam. i think it is where the wet nappy rubs :evil: what we are trying and seem to help is making sure fleece is touching his thighs- so at night we are using minkis and by day if the pockets or fitted are not all fleece i put a fleece liner across the nappy so it sticks out the leg holes and the nappy isn't rubbing.
i find pul wraps make it worse so use wool or fleece if a wrap is needed. fc it works

sarah

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:56 pm

jules070603 wrote:Can I was in soda crystals and can I wash everything in it (i.e. PUL)?

Yes :) If you're doing this then put some vinegar in the rinse cycle too...

It's interesting because Isabelle got rashes on her thighs at night shortly after she daytime trained, and Nic has the same problem with Evie...

Is he getting this with pockets?

Isabelle used to get rashes with her wraps but stripping the wraps helped... I have to say if you think it's the wraps then wool would be a much better option at night.
I would stick to washing at 60 after doing a cold rinse for now as if there's any bacteria causing the rashes 60 will kill them.

Also another thing is I wonder if you're not washing them as frequently as when he was in daytime nappies - I can go almost a week without washing now as I've got enough night nappies now!! :oops:

We don't have any trouble with Isabelle now but we are using mainly pockets and I don't generally use fitteds two nights in a row...

Hope that helps a little...

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:20 pm

i agree that wraps can rub on thighs and make them a bit red sometimes, maybe wool or fleece would be better?

also, teething can make nappies smell AWFUL!!! so until its over theres not much you can do except keep up with the washing and using tea-tree oils etc. the teething makes wee a bit acidic so maybe thats why his little legs are red?

hope its better soon >:D< xx

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:21 pm

Well, nappies are in the washer. They have had 1 wash with soda crystals and Tesco man brought white vinegar so now they are washing with more soda crystals and vinegar.

I am feeling positive, please let this work :coolbaby:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:20 am

How did you get on jules? I'm having similar probs as well, I think the smell is a lot to do with the heat though :roll:

touch wood his legs have been ok but there was a few weeks ago that it got bad.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat