hf1

Stash-building tips please (nappymatics!)

My avatar
afterglow
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Stash-building tips please (nappymatics!)

Postby afterglow » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:55 am

Good morning! I am coming to the end of my nappy trial for my 11month old dd, and am starting to build my stash. I live in a hardwater area and don't have a tumble dryer, but do have a very warm airing cupboard. We're not using night nappies yet.

I'm starting out with:
Bumgenius AIO x 4 (brill)
Fluffles AIO x 1 (fit not so good on my girl)
Itti Bitti D'Lish x 1 (very pretty, but I'm not so fond of all the bits :oops: )
Lollipop bamboo x 2
Little Lamb bamboo x 2
Little Lamb cotton x 2
Bambinex Teddy x 2
Thirsties wrap x2
Nature Babies wrap x 1
Imse Vimse wrap x 1
Fleece liners x 10
Washable wipes x not enough

That's 14 nappies, I wash every second day unless we get a teething nappy. We get through 4-6 cloth nappies in a day.The fleece and cotton ones will dry quickest, then the lollipop, then the little lamb bamboo. I'm off work at the moment, once I get work I'll be getting more Bumgenius for nursery or childminder, if they're not happy with two-parters.

So - do I "need" any more nappies? Should I be looking at more/less of any particular type? I'll need to get more bumgenius when dd goes up a size, but all the others should be good for ages (I won't be replacing the d'lish when she grows out of that one).

Thanks for reading!

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: Stash-building tips please (nappymatics!)

Postby flutterby » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:07 am

Short answer, YES, I don't think 14 nappies is anywhere near enough! I have over 70 not that I need all of those, but I think I'd struggle with less than 45 for my LOs, ( between them, not each)

Your the best judge of whih others to get, which do you like the best, get a few more of them!

Also there are lots of other AIOs and pockets that you could get for the childminded days, you don't need to limit yourself to the BG AIO!

Might be worth trying a pocket as there isn't one in that list, and pockets are great!

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby clairelana » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:15 am

I agree with Hanna i'd say you need a few more.
I have about 25. I do wash them everyday I could proberly do every other but don't like them standing for too long.

I highly recomend BG pockets. My mum watches the kids and my DH and they are both fine wth them pre stuffed.

hth

Claire

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Pinchette » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:30 am

Well it's up to you. When I started I only had 7 nappies and I was washing everyday obviously and she was still in disposables at night.
But then the addiction kicked in and I built up my stash to around 20, which allowed me to wash less often which is a great help in winter without a drier.
I've always kept my stash to around 25/35 nappies as I don't have the space to store more and when I want/need to buy new one, I sell first.

Personally I like to have lots of differents brands of nappies rather than having a lot of one brand even if I find them fantastic. The attractions of new fabrics and all the beauties that the WAHMs make is too tempting.
So apart from Jimmy Riddles and Upsy Daisy, I only have about 2 of each brand.

My avatar
afterglow
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby afterglow » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:39 am

Thank you. I had a feeling that 14 probably wasn't enough.

I do like the bg aio, it's stupidly easy to change anywhere and air-dries fairly fast. I haven't tried any pockets yet.

I agree completely with wanting a variety. It's not as if all my underwear is the same, after all. Seeing as I'm a fairly late starter to cloth, and won't be having any more babies to pass them onto, I think my stash will be on the small side. 25ish sounds about as big as I can accomodate and use.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat