hf1

Wraps for newborns, and baby boy advice?

My avatar
frankie_n_baby
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Wraps for newborns, and baby boy advice?

Postby frankie_n_baby » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:58 pm

Hello! I am thinking again about wraps for fitteds. I am sure people have said that fleece and wool wraps are better used later, when baby is more mobile and wrap is less likely to wick from compression. When could I reasonably start using fleece or wool wrap/longies etc, as I like the idea of these? Am thinking a few more ME airflow or rikki should cover my general wrap needs at the start.

Also, is there anything I would need to considering doing differently for a baby boy (e.g. positioning of liners or boosters, inserts for pockets?)?

Thanks! Francesca :mrgreen:

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Wraps for newborns, and baby boy advice?

Postby AnnetteandBen » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:30 pm

Ben had his first pair of pixie knit longies aged 7 weeks (so 3 weeks adjusted age) and they worked perfectly- occasionally when they were brand new, the colour would wick slightly onto a white sheet and feel slightly damp, but when washed it came out! If I had them earlier, he would have worn them earlier - longies are just the perfect outfit, just a tshirt and a cardigan over the top end! Makes nappy changing really easy too - and poo checks as you can just peer down the back!

Found I didn't need to do anything special with boosting as at the beginning there wasn't so much coming out I don't think and he was being changed literally every couple of hours and when they are tiny everything is squashed into the nappy and can run down and damp the bum area. Probably in the past when newborns were put on tummy to sleep things were done differently.

I am not a fan of fleece as we love wool, but can't say why I don't like fleece when compared, if that makes any sense!

My avatar
frankie_n_baby
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby frankie_n_baby » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:41 pm

That's great, Annette. I was veering more towards wool, too, as I had heard good things :) I guess the frequency of changing at first makes wool more possible. Did you generally just have him in wool longies etc , then? I guess you'd need quite a few pairs? What about if you wanted to put clothes on top, or would that be too hot? Are woolies good for fitteds and terries alike? I still have a lot to learn :hohoho: Cheers!

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:49 pm

Ben was known as the baby with the rainbow trousers - much to my MIL disgust :hohoho:

We would get about 4 days out of them before they needed a wash generally because of poo. And literally his daytime outfit was his longies, a short sleeve t shirt (instead of a bodysuit / vest), a long sleeve t shirt and a cardi. At night he would wear a sleepsuit and PUL wrap, or if we were really lazy or out late what he wore during the day!

Wool works really well with any fitted nappies I found, but poppers or nippas are preferable so the applix doesn't catch, but we used little lambs, MEOS, swaddlebees OVOS.

My avatar
frankie_n_baby
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby frankie_n_baby » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:40 pm

:hohoho: :hohoho: at the MIL! I love the idea of rainbow pants :D . Sadly I accidentally ordered aplix little lambs instead of nappi nippa, but stuck with them, anyway (all prewashed now). Other than that, I have a couple of bamboozles, terries, a swaddlebee os, BB minki os and am planning on making the rest meos. Wish I were better at knitting, then I could try knitting longies, but am far off that! :knit:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:18 pm

Only specific thing I know about boys is to be sure to point the willy DOWN every time you put a nappy on so they don't wee out of the top or sides! :hohoho:

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:27 pm

WSS!!

There is a chance he will become a directional wee'r, Jak certainly is, but I doubt that will be for a long time!

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:50 pm

sam is an expert at wee'ing out the side of a nappy :hohoho: :hohoho:
i always need to boost at the front of the nappy as that is where he wets most :D

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:53 pm

The applix little lambs which are my 100% staple work fine, just you have to make sure they are stuck down properly (or get the dad to try and stick them down :wink: )

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat