hf1

Getting clothes to fit?

My avatar
frankie_n_baby
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Getting clothes to fit?

Postby frankie_n_baby » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:04 pm

Just thought of another question! :D From talking to a couple of people, I've been told that many of the most popular clothes shops for babies have clothes that are a little bit on the neat side when using with real nappies. Have most people found this to be the case? I know that many organic baby clothes come in slightly more generous sizes with a view to their customers using cloth nappies, and that some like Tesco and H&M aren't too bad, but how much of a prob is this in reality? While organic clothes are gorge, we won't be able to afford to keep buying them, and from experience, grandparents and family often find it harder to get hold of these and they are more expensive. I guess I could go preloved, but it's nice to have new things, too!! :D
I am also aware that many of the standard sizes won't fit for as long when using with cloth nappies (i.e., that age 0-3 might really only fit at birth and certainly not all the way up to 3 months..)

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Getting clothes to fit?

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:14 pm

Hi Frankie, we have never really had a problem - so far but some shops are smaller sizes than others, I find Matalan and Primark on the small side but most other places seem to be fine. We are just about to try fitteds so will have to see how that goes. One thing I find a Godsend are babylegs, they are great for wearing with skirts (if you hav a pink baby that is1!) and they show off lovely fluffy nappies!!!
Where do you get organic clothes from? A friend of mine's daughter has to wear organic school uniforms due to allergies but she says they ae horrid and expensive. :D

My avatar
frankie_n_baby
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby frankie_n_baby » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:19 pm

Thanks, Kirsty! :) We don't have any matalan or primark anywhere near, anyway, but my parents do, so that's good to know.
My SIL uses organic clothing and uses sites like cut4cloth and beamingbaby (both co.uk, I think). I haven't forayed much into organic clothes yet, as frankly in terms of my nephews and nieces, we haven't been able to afford to get things for them. I hadn't heard of organic school uniforms before. Oh, I've also just discovered little green radicals and bababoo.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:44 pm

frugi have nice organic cut for cloth clothes. i got some lovely things in their sale, but their full priced range would be too expensive to keep buying! babykind is also doing their Cut4Cloth range hugely discounted; vests and sleepsuits are handy to get. i find baggy trousers go on easy enough over most nappies. so do leggings but you get the "huge bum" look! you can also buy vest extenders which are great, as they allow the vest to fit over a cloth nappy without squeezing too tight. sometimes trousers are better in the next size up, but the downside of this is that anyone buying gifts might buy a set and the trousers will then only fit over a super-slim nappy or a sposie :(

although the organic ranges are very expensive, ive bought a few things because the quality is usually excellent, and can be passed down to other babies or sold on for a decent price. primark clothing falls apart after its first wash :evil: so i dont like buying from primark. maybe later when we get to the "messy play" clothes...!

longies are a great alternative to trousers, even if you are only using them over pocket nappies; they fit well, are warm and soft and give an extra leak protection, and can be worn loads before needing washed :D xx

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:53 pm

Next, mothercare and osh kosh have always been bad culprits for us... :evil:
Doesn't help that Isabelle seems to have inherited the 'big bum' from her dad's side of the family :lol: and she's always had a big tummy but even going a size up I struggled to get mothercare trousers over even a slim fitting nappy...

Tesco and H&M have been VERY good to us

Primark are horribly hit and miss and to be honest I've given up buying clothes in there even for nursery as for the same price you get stuff that doesn't fall apart from tesco... Primark stuff falls apart, the sizing isn't reliable and it can't be tumble-dried (even if it says it can...) as it shrinks ridiculously...

M&S sleep suits are fab as they've got a nice long body and legs

And vests - get some vest-extenders (esp for going over night nappies) so that way however tiny the brand they'll still fit :)

Frugi are FAB but unless you buy in the sale they are a bit on the pricey side... I LOVE the little green radicals t-shirts and got a bargin lot of them in boots when they did them ages ago and then they all went in the sale!!

Obviously dresses are brilliant but you don't exactly have that option ;)

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:03 pm

For us, I've found H&M, M&S and Tesco to be good. Mothercare stuff is useless; her Christmas present stuff is already starting to get too small over a cloth bum. Most trousers seem to be hipster cut to start with, so just don't fit properly in the rise. Some WAHM cloth nappy makers also do clothes - Nappies by Minki and Goosie Lucy spring to mind. And there's always the option of forgetting about trousers and just going with longies. :D

My avatar
frankie_n_baby
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby frankie_n_baby » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:49 pm

gayleygoo wrote: primark clothing falls apart after its first wash :evil: so i dont like buying from primark.

Yeah, as Kirsty said (above), she didn't think Primark or matalan were any good, which I can now warn my parents about although they only shopped there recently for cheap tops for me and the bump :wink:

It great to hear from you all what works and what doesn't :D Time to start looking into longies more.. :twisted:

Where do you get vest extenders from? I saw them recently but can't remember where.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:13 pm

babykind have vest extenders! next and asda a very generous for baby clothing, not so much so for toddlers!

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:42 pm

I thought I would have problems with a boy as with Charlotte we got away with alot under skirts and dresses, but actually it hasn't been a problem at all. I find any brand of dungarees are great (apart from M&Co who seem to be very short in the body and long in the leg :roll: ) and I like Ben in dungarees. Other than that we have gone for stretchy trousers or sized up with jeans and turned up the legs - at this age it doesn't matter.

I think it helps this time that Ben is in pockets as Charlotte wore 2 parters which are bulkier, especially around the hips and they tend to come lower down the legs.

Ben's clothing has so far always lasted beyond the age range, he is still wearing some 3-6m stuff approaching 9 months. Vest extenders are a god send and we are using longies and t-shirts rather than sleepsuits.

I love Cut 4 Cloth trousers as they are a great fit, but as pp's have said, buy in the sale and they have a really good resale value.

It does of course make a huge difference and everyone has found that once their child pt'd they didn't have anything to hold their trousers up anymore! :hohoho: But you will get used to what works and what doesn't and tbh I think every baby is such different shapes that everyone will find some clothes don't fit, even sposie wearers.

Incidentally I have some great trousers from Primark that Charlotte has been wearing for aaaaaages, they are 18-24m, I got them before she was 18m and she is still wearing them now at 2 years 9m! But there is probably a huge range of quality in Primark

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat