hf1

More questions from a newbie

My avatar
frankie_n_baby
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

More questions from a newbie

Postby frankie_n_baby » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:16 pm

Hi all, I am thinking about the newborn nappy thing. I have my little lambs size ones and some terries, (the rest are either size 1 or one size) but have been wondering whether even these will be too big (am going to get the odd newborn just in case). What about when the umbilical cord is getting ready to drop and heal? Won't the lls get in the way? I've got aplix ones. Will the rise be too high on them for this, or will they be ok? How long does it take for the belly button to heal and the stump to drop off?

Thanks in advance!

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: More questions from a newbie

Postby clairelana » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:23 pm

I'm not sure about the nappies being ok for newborn but Kaydis umbilical cord fell of after a week i think they say it can take 2 weeks.
I think WN do a newborn wrap with a snap where the belly button is. This would be great used with terry nappies.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:34 pm

I've been wondering similarly if my size1 tots will be too big on a newborn as I've got quite a lot of these (in nippa version)...

I don't think you NEED to keep the stump uncovered for it to heal and drop off (afterall moist healing can be fab) but I'm not really sure... I think AnnetteandBen might have written something about it in her newborn review...

I honestly can't remember how long Isabelle's cord-stump took to come off - but I think it wasn't much over a week... But then again I can't actually remember if it came off while we were still in the hosp - or when we got home!!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:41 pm

I never bothered keeping Katie's umbilical cord uncovered except when she was wearing her Swaddlebees OV newborn nappies. Most of the time she was in bimbles and diddy diapers and I just did them up as normal. Her cord stump fell off after about 5 days.

HTH

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:45 pm

THe girls are right, you don't need to keep the cord uncovered. Kieran and Anna's feel off after just over a week (phew they got smelly, not infected though!!) and Gracies came off in under a week. x

My avatar
frankie_n_baby
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby frankie_n_baby » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:44 pm

Ok, great, thanks. I feel happier now :wink: Oh, and an excuse to check out weenotions again! :hohoho:

My avatar
frankie_n_baby
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby frankie_n_baby » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:47 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:I've been wondering similarly if my size1 tots will be too big on a newborn as I've got quite a lot of these (in nippa version)...

I think AnnetteandBen might have written something about it in her newborn review...

I wish I'd remembered to order nn instead of aplix, but at least I've also got the terries for that. I will have another look at AnnetteandBen's review, as that rings a bell.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:46 pm

Iris' cord stump fell off after about 10 days. We did have one Wee Notions nappy that snapped down, but the rest of the time she was in size 1 Tots Bots (similar to LL, I think). They gave her an enourmous bee-like behind, but they did the job. :D She was an ounce under 9lbs at birth, but she lost a lot of weight and was closer to 8lbs at one point, so I think you should be able to use your LL straight away. Don't forget that you can always nippa down the LL if you think they are too big - should help them fit a little better. I also found that some of the BTP nappies I got were a good fit right from the start (and still are): Bumgenius may not be the prettiest nappies, but they are very functional and good even with explosive BF poo.

I did a review of our nappy stash in the newborn review section, if that helps.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:54 pm

Hmmm, I dunno if Summer is just a funny shape or what, but her LLs fit perfectly now, tabs overlaped, and her sz1 tbs are still too big!

I never really had to worry about Summers stump it dropped off after 3 days!!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat