hf1

Questions - struggling!!

My avatar
Lynni
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Questions - struggling!!

Postby Lynni » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:54 pm

Hey I've recently (this week) put my 11 wk old daughter into cloth nappies which I fully intended to use from birth :oops: :shock:

Think I've found the change from disposies to cloth a bit of a shock, for one she needs changing loads!! How often do your LO's go btwn changes? Sometimes its only 1.5hr or so and she is wet, is this normal to change so frequently? I'm using a mix of bimbles, diddy diapers, kissaluvs and some ME sandies but haven't tried those yet. The wraps I've been using for the majority have been nature babies and me rikki are these wraps ok? She only weighs 9lb atm so I still have plenty of wear out of these I've got, but I also have some MEOS and airflow wraps which are preloved, would I get more absorbency using them as I can't add any boosters yet or can I?

My avatar
Joaninha
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Questions - struggling!!

Postby Joaninha » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:40 pm

I don't see why you can't add any more boosting... But we got on really well with sandies, probably my favourite fitted until we found flutterby fluff...

Your wraps seem fine to me, but I am not that much of an expert, tbh... :oops:
Oh, and I am sure someone will point you towards wool, which is wonderful, and you should really give it a go!
Good luck, hope you find you feet soon! >:D<

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:03 pm

Joaninha wrote:I don't see why you can't add any more boosting... But we got on really well with sandies, probably my favourite fitted until we found flutterby fluff...

<

:wink:

Hi Lynni,

certainly sounds like you need to boost your nappies a bit, sandies are fab, but I've never used any of the others so I can't comment on them! I love my nature babies wraps they are fantastic, not had a leak with them yet! I change my LOs about every 3 hrs, sometimes 4, and they are never really sodden, but then I have learnt to cater for them, Jak wee's for England and needs lots of boosting, I reccomend getting some easy peasy hemp inserts and putting them between the nappy and the wrap! Also like Jonny said try wool, it's amazing!

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:16 pm

You probably need to add a booster to your nappies. At this age i had to boost my daughters nappies too. Litttlelamb do 10 bamboo boosters for £10 and they are brill for boosting up little baby bums :)
Your wraps are good, Motherease wraps are top!!

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Pinchette » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:05 pm

Hi,

If there is no leaks then you're wraps are fine. You've got some trusted brands there.
Like other people have said, you could add boosting.
Another thing that I've thought about is that if you've just started then your nappies haven't reached full absorbancy yet so keep using them and washing them and in the meantime, add a hemp booster between the nappy and the wrap.

PS: Some people find that that cloth nappies do not last as long as the nasty disposable ones.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:37 pm

When you say she is wet - do you mean that the nappy has leaked and her clothes are wet or is it just that you are used to the fact that disposables do keep a baby's bottom very dry? Cloth nappies will always feel wet to the touch but you can keep their bottoms dry by using fleece liners - have you tried these?

I would say you should comfortably be able to get 3 hours without a leak from your nappies, the wraps sound fine, they are good ones so as pp's have said try adding some boosting. The Little Lambs suggestion is a good one.

BTW - congratulations :D

My avatar
Lynni
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Lynni » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:02 pm

Ok cheers :wine: Clothes aren't wet, but the nappy is wet. At first I got confused between a wet nappy and a nappy that felt damp because she must be warmer wearing cloth. Wraps remain dry though? I've had a check through my stash and I've got some boosters already, some hemp and some are terry cotton/fleece topped. If I had a booster between the nappy and the wrap does this effect the wrap in anyway? Will it make her clothes bulkier? I'm quite lazy and as she is still so tiny she spends alot of her time atm in sleepsuits :oops: :lol: I have noticed abit of a cloth bum though!

I have a Bambinex 'teddy' type nappy but the nature baby wrap I put on must have been too small, as she couldn't straighten her legs - even though Babykind recomend NB wraps? Any ideas how I can get round this

Thank you! x

My avatar
Lynni
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Lynni » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:03 pm

I'm struggling to boost! Boosted a kissaluv with a NB wrap this morning, but it didnt look very comfortable and she didnt last very long before she started screaming untill I took the booster out and then she settled :? Are they the right nappies to boost, do I need to go up a size in the wrap if I'm boosting? Can you use boosters alone with wraps? The booster and wrap reminded me of our stay in hospital as thats what they used or similar....

My avatar
slumberlion
Clothie
Clothie

Postby slumberlion » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:36 pm

Its okay that the nappy is wet...thats what happens, and they can appear to be really sodden, but still have room for more wee. As long as the outside of the wrap is dry, then leave the nappy on for a bit longer. You don;t need to boost unless your nappy is leaking...i.e the outside of the wrap is wet, or her clothes are wet. Sounds like you're doing a great job...just try leaving your little one in them for an extra hour and then change...as I said you'd be amazed at how much nappies hold. If you don't like the idea of your lo in a wet nappy then get hold of some fleece liners, they help to keep the skin dry (microfleece rather than polar fleece!).

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat