tumble drying nappies

My avatar
lilchick
Clothie
Clothie

tumble drying nappies

Postby lilchick » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:25 pm

sorry, not sure where to put this one..

just got a tumble dryer, specifically for LO's nappies!
they take ages to dry though, took 2 hours last night for BG and associated boosters.
i left the bamboo nappies for a separate cycle as i thought they would just make everything wet
but maybe i should have just thrown them all in together seeing as took 2 hours anyway?

am i right in saying i need to use low heat on them?

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: tumble drying nappies

Postby Mareth » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:31 pm

With your BG's and all pockets/wraps I wouldn't bother to tumble at all, they'll dry just as quickly on rads or just airdrying. AFAIK you do should cool tumble, and don't load too much in at the same time as they will take forever.

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:40 pm

I tend to put my inserts and fitteds on high for 40 mins then add pockets for another 10 or 20 mins on low.

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:45 pm

I usually tumble all my fitteds and inserts on low for 40 mins and then hang them up for the rest of the time.

I don't tumble my pockets or wraps (unless I want to do a quick fluff of any minkee!!!) as they don't take long anyway.

It does take AGES to tumble them completely, I have done it occasionally when I'm running low though.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:39 pm

Microfibre inserts/cloths, pockets, wraps, fleece liners I don't tumble-dry as they dry so quickly by themselves and I used to find microfibre stopped everything else drying quickly!

My tumble-drier is an 'automatic' one so stops when things are dry... BUT it's 'ironing' dry so often really really absorbent inserts (e.g. thick bamboo or hemp inserts) can still be mildly damp when i get them out but provided I pop them over the airer for 30mins or so as soon as they're out of the tumble drier they're soon just as dry...

Oh and ALL of mine are tumbled on low...

I find a 'sock/smalls airer' is perfect for drying inserts :) (you know the type of thing - hangs up and has lots of pegs)

It's not very good for bamboo to tumble it as it does cook the fibres BUT I tumble all my bamboo inserts
Bamboo velour especially shouldn't be tumbled at all (I find my bamboo velour nappies dry overnight usually so not tumbling isn't an issue) as it really changes the feel of it...

My avatar
Cherylw
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Cherylw » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:04 am

if i'm being lazy i put the lot in the drier - and everything dries quickly.

You can always put a dry bath towel in the dryer with the wet washing tho - that is supposed to make things dry quicker, i have done it on occasion with DH's uniform and clothes if he needs them in a rush.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:05 pm

Cherylw wrote:if i'm being lazy i put the lot in the drier - and everything dries quickly.

You can always put a dry bath towel in the dryer with the wet washing tho - that is supposed to make things dry quicker, i have done it on occasion with DH's uniform and clothes if he needs them in a rush.

How interesting, may have to test that theory!

My avatar
lilchick
Clothie
Clothie

Postby lilchick » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:21 pm

thanks all!
i put my bamboos on the rads this morning and they were dry in about an hour and a half
hubby will not be impressed if i tell him its quicker using them instead of dryer -im sure we will find somehting to use the tumble dryer for over the years...!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:04 pm

Please don't put your bamboo over the radiator regularly - it cooks the bamboo and makes it shrink - much much worse than using the tumble drier!!!

On an airer next to the radiator is much better :)

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat