hf1

Belly button infections?

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Belly button infections?

Postby rhead » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:31 pm

Lili has a proper innie, and since we switched to mostly using shorties (Lovebums, Stacinators) I've been noticing that it gets quite red and raw-looking inside. Not sure if the two are actually correlated, or if this is common with innies anyway? I'm worried that the fleece band covering it up might be trapping humidity or something... anybody have any experience with this? It doesn't seem to bother her and clears up really quickly, but it's a little troubling. I love our shorties!!

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Belly button infections?

Postby jan3182001 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:55 pm

my two youngest belly buttons kept getting infections just as you describe.
i would say to keep the area clean and dry, visit gp who may prescribe an antibactericide.
I like my lo's nappys to be quite low for that reason - prevention.

can you fold nappy down so it doesn't cover the umbilicus?

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:04 pm

I used to have ths with Lucas when we used the lovebums and stacinator PUL wraps. He seemed to have some reaction to the fleece, it started with his belly button and then he got really bad blistery welts on his thighs too :( :(

It seemed to be where the pul is stitched to the fleece cuffs, I assumed it was trapping moisture there...

Maybe try a barrier cream around her belly button? vaseline or something

jan x

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:31 pm

Bum - I'll have to keep a closer eye on it, I really hope we don't have to stop using our (erm, my) favorite wraps!

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat