clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Grrr - another one of 'those' articles

Postby clothmama » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:40 am

Just spotted this in the Australian Sydney Morning Herald

smh.com.au/news/parenting/baby-talk/2007/07/26/1185339165198.html

The women reackons her bills doubled using cloth, that sounds more like she had a water leak somewhere and forgot to turn the central heating off :evil: :evil:

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:13 pm

another GGGRRRRRRRRR AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH from me, what a complete load of hogs wash!!!!!!

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:37 pm

I don't know - that article is cerainly not the worst I have seen. At least it admits that the research is poor and that the UK report didn't account for the fact that you can reduce your impact by washing full loads at lower temps.

I think the bit about utility costs doubling is definately an exaggeration but then she said her baby needed 20 changes a day :shock: :shock: That's once every hour nearly - I can't believe that for a moment.

I just wish someone would come up with a properly researched and honest report that would allow people to have all of the facts and therefore be in a position to make an informed decision - is that too much to ask?

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:07 pm

Ah how very annoying! I know how you feel after my recent run in with practical parenting magazine! :x :x :x :x

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:46 pm

what happened Hannah?

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:44 pm

Ah a completely biased article on BLW. It was actually shocking. I was approached and asked a load of q's about it and when i read it printed i was so angry.

Basically it wasn't about blw and how to do it, tips and things. It was a scaremongering article implying and saying that blw will cause your baby to choke and it's unsafe! The worst thing was they had a clippit of a woman saying "my baby choked" but when you read it, she didn't even do blw, and her baby was 12 months, it was a grape, it was completely unrelated to blw yet they made it look like that. The WORST bit was the 6 page pull out on annabel karmel's guide to weaning (puree) where she states some very wrong tips.

Turns out AK is actually their resident writer and best friend to the editor! I really liked AK's books for puree weaning but since she's done this slanderous bashing of blw she has gone waaaaaay down in my estimations.

My avatar
BabyLongLegs
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Grrr - another one of 'those' articles

Postby BabyLongLegs » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:06 am

clothmama wrote:The women reckons her bills doubled using cloth

Using cloth isn't cheap, as all us true addicts know :lol:

An independent study conducted in Britain two years ago found there was no substantial difference between the environmental impact of disposables, of commercially laundered cloth nappies, and of home-laundered cloth nappies.

This study was fatally flawed, in that the amount of clothies they interviewed was substantially less than the amount of disposable users....and there are rumors it had funding from proctor and gamble somewhere along the line.... :roll:

abandon ship if you can't find large enough plastic pants to cover your child's cloth nappies

Oh please..plastic pants are so passe.....

"I can't go through six or seven changes of clothes a day: that's just not feasible,"

Yeah....so just find a nappy that fits properly you muppet.....
Some people.... :roll:

Love
Sarah xXx

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:27 am

Thanks for a (very) early morning giggle Sarah!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Well said!!

My avatar
skaheadpunk
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby skaheadpunk » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:08 pm

Some people are just stupid. So they don't work for you? Try a different bloody nappy! PLASTIC PANTS! Are we living in the dark ages?

20 changes a day?!?! Her son poos more then a newborn? That needs checking by a doctor if you ask me.

And this woman is the cloth enthusiast? Oh dear lord, I'd hate to see what anti-cloth people are like in your neck of the woods!

And in the picture, he seems to be wearing what looks like a terry tied over his bum - can anyone else see any class of folding going on there? No wonder it leaks.

I could pull a more balanced article out of my arse, TBH.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat