hf1

Hello, I'm new....

My avatar
Candygirl
Clothie
Clothie

Hello, I'm new....

Postby Candygirl » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:53 am

Hi, I'm currently 31+3 and am going to use cloth nappies. I think I would like to try some pockets and some 2 part nappies to see what we get on with better. I was thinking some bumgenius, fuzzi bunz, and blueberries, along with some little lambs, diddy diapers / micro diddy and maybe bambinex teddys. For wraps I was thinking motherease as everyone seems to like these. What do you think to this collection and how many of everything should I get? Thanks!

My avatar
nikkib
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Hello, I'm new....

Postby nikkib » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:05 pm

Hiya! Congratulations on your pregnancy!!

I think the suggestion is usually 24 nappies (8 per day for 3 day turnaround) but many of us end up with a darn sight more than that!

2 part nappies tend to work well on newborns as they offer very good containment (newborns can be a bit explosive with their poos!) I didn't try pockets when mine were new for that reason but I know that some people do get on with them. Little lambs and diddy diapers are both fab. Haven't tried micro diddys though! You're definitely doing the right thing trying out a few different types and seeing what works best for you!!

I liked lovebums or stacinator wraps when my son was new as they had fleece cuffs which prevented the elastic from marking his skin, other than those I think I only used wool. ME airflows are very good wraps in my opinion - both my kids are in them quite a bit, but I do occasionally find that the elastic marks their thighs and tummies if the sizing isn't quite right on them.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy chosing and playing with all your fluff!!!

My avatar
Joaninha
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Joaninha » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:13 pm

Hiya, :idea: and welcome to the Tree.

It sounds like you have the beginnings of a great collection. I would only add that the LL wraps are as fab as their nappies. We really liked the fit on them.

I am Jonny, and we look forward to bumping into you on the forum :D

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:28 pm

I used all pockets from birth all bar 2 swaddlebees OV NB as they are just so darn cute, and a few 40cm bamboo squares! We are now using a mixture of pockets and fitted but that's because I seem to have become pretty addicted to bamboo velour :oops: :oops:

I never had a problem with containment using pockets, but Summer was only BF for the first week, I had 1 S WN SS pocket, 1 S BBSS, 2 BBOS, 4 XS fuzzis, 4 S fuzzis, 6 bumgenius, 5 bamboo squares, and 2 NB swaddlebees OV, and 2 nature babies wraps! And that was plenty (not that I as satisfied) so that's 25 and we got by fine, and 2 parters were hardly ever used!

Soundlike you have a good selection, I loved my XS fuzzis when Summer was teeny, infact I still do now, they are the only nappies that she can reach the floor in her walker in! I didn't really like the small fuzzis, though if I still had the, I might like them now! The BG are great, ultra reliable, and are used as night nappies when wool is being washed! I hated the fit of the blueberry onesize on her as shes teeny and they are just so bulky, but on the other hand the side snaps I love, very trim, and she still fits in the smalls now! I loved the bamboo squares for bulking out the collection cheaply! Wasnt overly impressed with the NB swaddlebees, I just didn't find them absorbent enough, this totally isn't the case with the side snaps and OS, they are great!

Sorry for the essay, I hope some of it helps!!

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Little Pants » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:43 pm

Pockets are great, and you ca get birth to potty ones, which are much neater than other birth to potties, as you can adjust the amount of stuffing when they are little. If you do find they don't contain explosive poo. you can always make then into 2 parters by using a wrap as well, for the explosive poo stage!
My out and out favorite ( and has been for absolutely ages) is the P'tits Dessous mini-maxi, which just fits right through from really tiny to a pretty chunky toddler. Lots of the onesize ones are a bit big at first, and then you get builders bum at the toddler stage, but the PD just fits!

My avatar
Candygirl
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Candygirl » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:23 am

Hi, thanks for your replies. I can't wait to get started! Do any of you use washable wipes as well? I feel that since I'm going to use cloth nappies, I should be using cloth wipes too. Is there any you can recommend? How many would I need to get? Thanks. x x x

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Little Pants » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:32 pm

Well you can make your own, but my best seller ones, if you don't want the hassle, are the Nature Babies ones - £5 for 10 wipes, terry one side and fleece the other side and JUST the right size.

Most people start by buying one pack, and then order on average from 2 - 5 packs more. They are really handy things to have!

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:06 pm

I love the wee notion wipes, and the thirsties fab wipes, but I don't know if you cann get them in the UK!!

My avatar
Candygirl
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Candygirl » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:27 am

Thanks again ladies! I was looking at the nappies by minki washable wipes, are these any good? Am thinking to get some of the waffle ones and some of the fleece double sided ones, then making some of my own...
Also was thinking a couple slinki minkis to use as night nappies, how many should I get? xx

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat