hf1

Interlock - buy or make?

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Interlock - buy or make?

Postby mabo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:33 am

Ok I know this is probably not in the right section but it fits in a couple of categories (DYI, Wool, Wahm) so I thought I'd put it here for now - please feel free to move it if necessary!

I really want some merino wool interlock items for Anna. Preferably a soaker, some shorts and possible even another pair of longies... I know it would probably be cheaper to buy the interlock fabric and try to make these out of it myself, but I dont do boring anymore when it comes to nappies or covers so would need to dye them. :twisted:

Is it difficult to work with?
Is LWI dyeing done the same way as for normal fabric?
Is it worth the extra trouble/mess as opposed to buying some ready made?
If I do get some, is it better to get 100% merino or 97% merino & 3% lycra?
If I buy ready made - which one would you recommend, bearing in mind that airmiles dont really matter anymore so they could come from US or UK - unless someone knows of funky Oz interlock woolies?

Sorry for the list of questions!
:babyroll:

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: Interlock - buy or make?

Postby flutterby » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:40 am

I don't know but will be interested to hear the answer as I fancy giving it a go too!

Bugaboo bottoms are gorgeous as are hollow oak

My avatar
nikkib
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Interlock - buy or make?

Postby nikkib » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:00 am

I've been considering this too! No idea where to get any from though...

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Interlock - buy or make?

Postby JanX » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:09 pm

how odd :? I was looking for some interlock fabric the other day as I want to make some lounge pants for the girls. The only place I found it for sale my the yard was at the covered caboose HC store and with the shipping it would work out faarrr too expensive for me to justify buying a couple of yards :roll:

was quoted around $20 for a 2lb in weight parcel or $42 for 6yards of fabric....

jan x

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Interlock - buy or make?

Postby gayleygoo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:50 pm

JanX wrote:how odd :? I was looking for some interlock fabric the other day as I want to make some lounge pants for the girls. The only place I found it for sale my the yard was at the covered caboose HC store and with the shipping it would work out faarrr too expensive for me to justify buying a couple of yards :roll:

was quoted around $20 for a 2lb in weight parcel or $42 for 6yards of fabric....

jan x


is that $20 shipping plus $42 cost of fabric? thats about $10 a yard, and it doesnt really seem overly expensive for a really nice fabric, and you can usually get a nice garment out of a yard of fabric. maybe a co-op kinda thing would work here, where someone could order loads of it and post bits of it off to people who want it? or maybe i have read that wrong and its $42 shipping?

i think we should start pestering some UK online shops to stock it!

i dont know about anything else but i imagine its dyed the same way as wool, using kool-aid or acid dyes, and LWI would work too! xx

My avatar
Emma S
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Interlock - buy or make?

Postby Emma S » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:21 am

Thats just the shipping cost - the fabric is about $20 a yard.....

The fall in the value of the £ is killing me - Ive just had to order another roll of fabric and it was over £750 :shock: :shock: ...... Think I sadly might have to increase my prices

Anyways, in answer to your questions....
Interlock is nice to work with - I much prefer dyeing wool than fabric, but its pretty labour intensive. The dyes you need are acid dyes, and they will need fixing in acid as opposed to soda ash. The wool will need felting prior to use as well. If you go for the interlock you are going to need to get some of the lycra mix for the waistbands, unless you are going to elasticate them - same as with the soakers, most of the ones you get (Luxe/WCW/HO) are the blend - its just much stretchier and so gives a snugger fit. Some people do use a combination of fabrics, and felt it to different weights - again this is a bit experimental. I tend to heavy felt all my interlock, but you lose a bit of stretch.

I will be doing customs again, once Ive cleared a big order :wink:

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Interlock - buy or make?

Postby mabo » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:25 pm

Thanks for all the info!

I was looking at this on hyena: http://hyenacart.com/bellajunction/index.php?p=23733 as its organic merino so should be really nice and soft and as it is already lightly felted I thought it would easier to use.
Is there a reason you cant use something like koolaid on interlock as I dont particularly like the idea of having to use acid dyes in the house here. It would have been a different story in our house in the UK but I think DH would kill me if I stained our kitchen here :hohoho:

Emma S wrote:I will be doing customs again, once Ive cleared a big order :wink:


Any idea when that is?? :lol:

My avatar
Emma S
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Interlock - buy or make?

Postby Emma S » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:11 am

mabo wrote:Thanks for all the info!

I was looking at this on hyena: http://hyenacart.com/bellajunction/index.php?p=23733 as its organic merino so should be really nice and soft and as it is already lightly felted I thought it would easier to use.
Is there a reason you cant use something like koolaid on interlock as I dont particularly like the idea of having to use acid dyes in the house here. It would have been a different story in our house in the UK but I think DH would kill me if I stained our kitchen here :hohoho:

Emma S wrote:I will be doing customs again, once Ive cleared a big order :wink:


Any idea when that is?? :lol:



Kool Aid is fine on the fabric, and the organic merino is lovely and soft.
I am hoping that I will be cleared at the end of March, tho maybe before. I will definately post on the WAHM board. (Need to wait for the roll to arrive first tho!)


Return to Cloth Nappy Chat