hf1

Hemp fleece

My avatar
Melh27
Clothie
Clothie

Hemp fleece

Postby Melh27 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:18 am

okay, so in an effort to cut out all micro fibre and hope that George will one day get back in cloth without half his bottom peeling off in hideous thrush I bought some hemp fleece and bamboo terry from babeco

The terry is self explanitory!

The hemp fleece though. At first I thought it was like normal fleece and could be used as a liner, then it seemed to imply it was absorbant on babeco.

Now, I just ran a bit under the tap (as you do :wink: ) and the water just sat on it.

so what is it for????

I know I am just being very dumb here - but I am soooooo sick of sposies, and I am starting to think the evil chemical gel is rotting my brain!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

love

Mel xxxxx

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:30 am

Hemp fleece is absorbent but when it is new it contains hemp oils which repel water. So it can take up several washes to get rid of the oils and get it up to full absorbency.

This is probably why it just ran off. It wouldn't provide a stay dry layer if that is what you were after?

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:04 pm

Hemp is better than MF for stuffing because it holds the moisture longer. It is just as absorbant (apparantly) as the MF but MF tends to soak back out again if that makes sense.

I bought some Hemp jersey boosters from easypeasynappies.co.uk they're only £2 (which compared to £4.95 which is the cost i paid elsewhere is a bargain!) They're nice and wide and fantastic now Erin is a heavier wetter.

Like Annette said it will need washing a fiar few times to reach it's ultimum absorbancy though.

Good luck x

My avatar
Melh27
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Melh27 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:47 pm

phew - I wanted it to be absorbant!

Thanks!

I am doing lots of pre-washing as it needs to shrink before I get the old sewing machine out.

Hannah - I have always used MF, as G isn't a massive wetter, but need to swap out coz of the thrush probs. I always recommend it as it is the cheapest and bestest thing I have used so far - but now it makes G's bum peel! oh the joys!

Mel xxx

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:42 pm

Mel, were you putting the mf directly against Georges bottom or did you have a layer of fleece (non absorbant stuff I mean!) in between? I'm only asking as if it was direct this may be the problem as that is a huge no no as it leaches moisture out of everything including baby skin so must only be used as and insert in a pocket nappy or under a fleece liner in a non pocket! hths

My avatar
Melh27
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Melh27 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:47 pm

there was always a fleece layer in between. I used fluffles so it was built in, and then boosted with MF at night.

Then the thrush hit, and he has been in sposies now for over 4 weeks, as the instant he goes back in cloth he gets thrush again. It seems to be a reaction to his poo - wonderful.

One of your posters had a similar prob, and found cutting out all MF helped (but she still used pockets) so I have bought some bigger fuzzies and got the hemp & bamboo to make my own stuffers.

Am starting to think that we might stay in evil stinky leaking sposies for ever though. It is awful. Cloth nappies everywhere and he is in plastic pants!

xxx

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:22 pm

(((((Mel))))) what a nightmare! I think that was Shevi and it seems to have sorted it for her. Other thoughts I had, have you stripped the nappies, tried a different powder in case its a reaction to that? TBH when I put Louis in Fluffles it is the reddest he ever gets (not a rash just reddy skin), I'm sure its because they don't breathe as well. Really hope you can get on with changing to fuzzis with natural inserts. If its still not happening come back to us and we'll try to find other solutions. I hadn't realised that you ahd been having these problems and that he has been in dispos for so long, you should have said and we could have thought of something before!!

Let us know how you get on.

My avatar
Melh27
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Melh27 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:23 pm

Thanks Tory!

I am just so cross after over a year with no problems! :roll:

We have managed 2 days now (not consecutive though) in the MEOS's I hated (and I sold the decent ones to Samstew!!) and then the new fuzzi's with the inserts which came with them (as the fleece & terry was drying!)

I am using paper liners so I can use a combination of the thrush cream & sudocrem and not wreck the nappies.

What other pockets would you recommend which come without a stuffer? I have asked grandparents for nappies for George for christmas, but not yet said what kind I want!!!

xxx

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:37 pm

Pocket bots are quite a new nappy and I'm getting on really well with them (poly pul rather than the cotton one). She is getting new prints made up now so there will be some lovely new ones coming out. The plain colours are all poly and she also does extra thick for long periods. Worth a look and they come empty!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat