hf1

Minkee question.

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Minkee question.

Postby Mareth » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:35 am

Has anyone got (or made) a minkee outer nappy which is a very dark colour (ideally dark green) bordered or half-cut with a much lighter colour? If so, could you please let me know if the colour has run at all between the 2 colours?

I'm trying to order from WN but didn't even think about the fact dark green minkee might run into white cuddlesoft. I really want this nappy to happen, but this might be the final nail in its coffin. :( I'll be so gutted if it is.

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Minkee question.

Postby mabo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:48 am

The only dark minkee I've had was the brown dotty minkee. It was with red dotty though and cream microfleece... but considering fleece is polyester like minkee I'd assume it would react the same was as minkee to minkee. But it never did.
Being polyester I dont think it can actually absorb any colouring unless treated with special chemicals - like the ones they probably use to dye it in the first place.

Please correct me if I'm wrong though!

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:31 am

I'm pretty sure colour won't run into minkee, or cuddlesoft, the only minkee I've knowe to run is red, and there was white minkee in t he wash with it that didn't pick it up, in face the only thing that picked up the red was some MF inserts!

My avatar
Sparkle
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Sparkle » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:17 pm

It should be prewashed before being sewn but being the fabrics they are it shouldn't run but chuck in a couple of colour catchers the first wash just to be sure :D

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:47 pm

Great, thanks everyone, I think I'll just go for it :)

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:21 pm

I have been told that you can have problems if you mix dark red and pink minkee with very light whites or creams but other colours are fine (don't kill me if it does though!)

I have a navy minkee WN OS which has a hungry caterpillar border and the white cotton hasn't discoloured at all if that helps.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:25 pm

I know someone who has a dark green WNOS bordercut with VHC fabric and they haven't had any problems!

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:31 pm

Good, good :D that's what I wanted to hear. Of course I won't blame you lot if it does run :lol:

My avatar
WeeNotions
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby WeeNotions » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:35 pm

The dyes used on natural fabrics are very different used to those on synthetic fabrics, so it would be highly unlikely that a dark Minkee farbic will run into a white cotton, but it may well run into a white polyester fabric (like Minkee or fleece etc). Saying that I have only known the red Minkee run BUT I haven't tried all the farbic combinations together which is why we say on the shop to choose carefully.

HTH

S
:D

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat