DH thinks sposies are bio degradeable?

My avatar
Melh27
Clothie
Clothie

DH thinks sposies are bio degradeable?

Postby Melh27 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:20 am

anyone else heard anything like this???

dh's dad works for proctor & gamble, and he is insistant that their sposies (pampers) and bio degradeable.

I continue to believe that this is rubbish, but just wanted some back up on my rants.

love

Mel xxxxx

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:34 am

Well, a nappy will probably break down totally EVENTUALLY but some bits of it will take a VERY long time. The plastics and crystals that absorb the wee would struggle to break down - some estimates say it can take 100s of years.

Even the eco-disposables which claim to fully break down would actually struggle once they have been encased in plastic and dumped in landfill with all the other rubbish - everything needs oxygen to decompose and there is little of that in a landfill site.

There are some sites with info on nappies breaking down, will see if I can find one.

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:07 pm

I was going to say similar to Annette.... they might break down in say 100 years or so! lol!

Chewing gum takes something like 7 years to get through the human digestive system, but you still don't want to swallow it do you lol :lol:

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:25 pm

Mel,

Maybe you could ask your FIL to back up his claims that they are biodegradable as he could have access to 'inside infomation'.

Given the right conditions, they probably eventually break down (as people have said not in landfill, in plastic and in an airless environement) as I believe if something is airless not even something which is bio degradable / compostable will disappear. There is also something about the chemicals in the absorbant inner that could contaminate the earth / ground water especially depending on whether the nappy was just wet or soiled.

Leading on from this does anyone know how long it should take something that is biodegradable to disappear? - I'm thinking there should be some sort of year(s) limit otherwise everything would be degradable over time - just think of how a car's metal rusts to nothing, but we don't call those biodegradable!

Annette

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:48 pm

The only definition of bi-degradeable I found is this:

"Degradable process in which fungi, bacteria, or algae secrete enzymes to convert a complex molecular structure into simple gases and organic compounds within a reasonably short period of time after disposal."

Not that helpful - what is the definition of "reasonably short period" but certainly you could not argue that disposables degrade in a reasonably short period.

Oh yeah and the process of breaking down the plastics etc produces gases which aren't great for the environment.

Can't find what I was looking for but I would certainly dispute his claims - unless he knows something different.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:05 pm

This is the link to the diaper hyena thing, which makes intresting reading it not about biodegradable

thediaperhyena.com/diaper_drama.htm

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:09 pm

you can also look at naty.com - as they claim their natural nappies are 70% natural and bio - deg compared to about 30% of other brands.

My avatar
Melh27
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Melh27 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:42 pm

The replies so far have basically said what I thought all along.

My reason for using cloth all this time have been after a case I did which involved the landfill tax regs - as it bought home the truth about landfill big time!

I will dig deeper, but remain totally unconvinced!

xx

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat