hf1

Charity looking for donations of used nappies...

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Charity looking for donations of used nappies...

Postby Mareth » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:28 am

Hope it's ok to post this, if not, please remove. I saw it posted on an Irish forum I use.

http://www.freewebs.com/babypackproject/index.htm

This is a South African charity that are making up packs to give to very needy babies, and are looking for nappies. I know most people sell theirs, but if you have any that aren't worth selling maybe it's something to think about. I know I definitely have a few that aren't in good enough nick for anyone to buy, but work perfectly and it's good to know someone somewhere wants them and they won't go to waste.

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Charity looking for donations of used nappies...

Postby Rae » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:02 pm

I just took a quick look. Am I right in thinking that you have to post all the stuff to south africa rather than somewhere in the UK?

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:10 pm

Not sure Rae, didn't actually look that closely at the exact details. Only at the general info. If it is then it's a bit of a pain :? , maybe if a few people wanted to send things we could all post together to save a bit of cash?

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:19 pm

i think i sent stuff to them before, but it was through a UK funded project where they posted it all.

you have to pay for postage for your things to go to Africa, which can end up fairly expensive but they recommend that you fundraise for the postal cost. i have a big bag of stuff that id intended to send off but it would prbably cost more to post that what id paid for it all lol! i think they also prefer flat terry nappies (probably as they're easier to wash and dry etc) but will accept any nappies or covers etc.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:48 pm

Am moving to nappy chat and making a sticky!

My avatar
MrC
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Admin

Postby MrC » Fri May 29, 2009 3:29 am

I've contacted them with a view to setting up something more formal.

They appear to have a representative in the UK. So it shouldn't be too difficult for them to arrange bulk shipment, which is really the only environmentally responsible option that minimises resource use. Also postage cost is an issue. Believe me, the money you would pay to Royal Mail for individual posting of a nappy, donated directly, would pay someone in Africa to make several new ones and would help the local economy better.

I know that we personally have a lot of nappies that are still perfectly usable, but that we would never put up for sale because they are faded or slightly worn. I'm sure that's the case for a lot of you too and if you don't have anybody else to pass them on to and as long as it's done responsibly, what better thing to do with them?

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat