hf1

How long do your pockets last?

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: How long do your pockets last?

Postby anya1973 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:42 pm

tanya2007 wrote:You see, your night stuffing doesn't seem very much to me. We have one of the WN trifold bamboo inserts + hemp booster and then 2 more hemp inserts, so at leat 14 layers of hemp and 6 of bamboo, and that is soaked in the morning.

Each EP hemp insert has 6 layers of hemp in it, and the BG MF inserts are quite thick too.

The combo I mentioned above was working very well until recently. The other issue (another one to add to the list), is that she is so dinky that if I add any more stuffing, the nappy will be huge and she won't be able to move properly.

Do you use bamboo terry at all during the day? I find it better than hemp for daytime, hemp doesn't absorb quick enough I find.

What pockets are you using? Could it be the fit of them rather than the inserts?

Helen xx

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:46 pm

The pockets fit fine, I have sold all the ones which don't fit anymore. I had a purge not long ago.

I gave up on bamboo during the day a while ago as it just wasn't working well enough. It absorbs quickly, but doesn't seem to hold enough. I know a combo of bamboo and hemp would probably be my best bet but, TBH, I can't really afford to replace my MF inserts with bamboo ones atm.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:18 pm

I use lots of different stuffings for pockets - Wonderfulls, BBOS combos, WN trifolds with some MF. We do use BG inserts with EP hemp boosters, too. That combination lasts about three hours. That's about the longest period of time that I'll leave Iris in a nappy - any longer and she can outwee it. She can be a heavy wetter, but it's really erratic. I also struggle with getting more stuffing into pockets without them gaping at the legs (she's tall and very skinny - on the 9th percentile for weight at around 16lb). Two parters are definitely able to go for longer, but then I find she has an enourmous bee-like bum and getting clothes to fit properly can be difficult. So I just change her really frequently and hope she puts on some weight.

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:38 pm

tanya2007 wrote:The pockets fit fine, I have sold all the ones which don't fit anymore. I had a purge not long ago.

I gave up on bamboo during the day a while ago as it just wasn't working well enough. It absorbs quickly, but doesn't seem to hold enough. I know a combo of bamboo and hemp would probably be my best bet but, TBH, I can't really afford to replace my MF inserts with bamboo ones atm.

Out of curiousity which bamboo inserts did you use? The only ones I've found to be any good are Wee Notions and Upsy Daisies.

The P'tits Dessous ones I bought were hopeless. Weren't absorbant enough and not long enough (despite the fact they were sold as larges :roll: :evil: ).

Helen :)

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:39 pm

Connor could never wear pockets as we had wicking after about an hour. To be fair I did only try fuzzis but tried various mixes for stuffing and in the end came to the conclusion he was a two-parter baby. A bamboozle with folded mf cloth was our staple. Finn on the other hand is fine for a good three hours in a BG or fuzzi with just the mf insert and a folded mf cloth.

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:43 pm

Another thing I noticed was that Easy Peasy inserts although trim weren't very absorbant. I've found from experience that looped bamboo inserts are the best - I think it must be because all the loops create more surface area to absorb the wee.

Well that's my theory anyway. :lol:

I also found them to be too short in most of my pockets, even in mediums.

Hmmm...not sure what else to suggest. Apart from stop her from drinking anything. :lol:

Helen xx

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby kt24 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:11 pm

We have this problem with Zac now and had it with Lockie which got progressively worse as we approached potty training age. I have tried every pocket going with every type and combo of stuffing. It's like Hanna said as soon as they wee it is soaked. I guess it is just the fact that they hold the wee for longer and then flood the nappy with a massive one and it just can't soak it up fast enough and wicks to the outer around the legs.

We still use pockets at home when I don't mind changing as often as needed. If we are going out it has to be a two part so I don't have to worry.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:42 am

kt24 wrote:We have this problem with Zac now and had it with Lockie which got progressively worse as we approached potty training age. I have tried every pocket going with every type and combo of stuffing. It's like Hanna said as soon as they wee it is soaked. I guess it is just the fact that they hold the wee for longer and then flood the nappy with a massive one and it just can't soak it up fast enough and wicks to the outer around the legs.

We still use pockets at home when I don't mind changing as often as needed. If we are going out it has to be a two part so I don't have to worry.

I was wondering when you'd post as I remember you saying this to me when I first joined the site! We use pocket at home too as if it wicks a bit it's not the worst thing in the world! Another option is to use wraps or wool over the top we did this for a while when we were switching over to fitteds!

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:06 am

Williams can get 4+ hours out of any pocket. He is not a heavy wetter though. I use a terry square folded in 8's and a mf insert mostly or a hemp and mf insert/

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat