hf1

How long do you *expect* a daytime nappy to last...

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

How long do you *expect* a daytime nappy to last...

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:24 pm

Just curious really after one of the comments in another thread...

How long do you expect a daytime nappy to last? (not on a newborn)

I know many disp users who would leave an unsoiled nappy an absolute MINIMUM of 4hrs but more like 5-7 before changing the nappy :shock: :shock: (no wonder their children get nappy rash and have to be coated in sudocreme!)

I would say 3-4hrs would be about the average I would expect and 2hrs would be a bit short if the nappy was just wet...
Sometimes nappies do last longer e.g. if baby is napping but I didn't usually leave Isabelle longer than 4hrs during the day without changing her unless she was asleep at the time...

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Re: How long do you *expect* a daytime nappy to last...

Postby Louise » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:27 pm

I usually change Katie every 2.5 - 3 hours unless she poos or is asleep. I know several people that would leave their LOs in a disp all day if it's not dirty. :shock: :evil: :nono:.

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:28 pm

I'd say about the same as you, Steph. For some reason though, I find that when we're out nappies don't last at all. I could be out only for 3 hours and change him immediately before we leave, but if I don't change him whilst we're out after about 2 hours, then he's pretty much sure to be wet through to his clothes. :( Poor thing.

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:29 pm

Louise wrote:I know several people that would leave their LOs in a disp all day if it's not dirty. :shock: :evil: :nono:.

:(

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:30 pm

Geordie_Girl wrote:I'd say about the same as you, Steph. For some reason though, I find that when we're out nappies don't last at all. I could be out only for 3 hours and change him immediately before we leave, but if I don't change him whilst we're out after about 2 hours, then he's pretty much sure to be wet through to his clothes. :( Poor thing.

That could be two reasons - does he drink while you're out e.g. have a sippy cup in the buggy...
And the other if he's in the sling or buggy while out he'll be less active so more likely to get compression wicking I'd guess...
Do you use the same nappies out and about as you do in the house?

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:31 pm

About 2.5 hours in a pocket, 3 hours in a fitted, unless pooed in.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:34 pm

I aim to change 3-4hrly, but Jak will often ask for his nappy changing sooner, if we're out we used to get really bad compression leaking, now that Jak walks it's sooooo much better!

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:35 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:
Geordie_Girl wrote:I'd say about the same as you, Steph. For some reason though, I find that when we're out nappies don't last at all. I could be out only for 3 hours and change him immediately before we leave, but if I don't change him whilst we're out after about 2 hours, then he's pretty much sure to be wet through to his clothes. :( Poor thing.

That could be two reasons - does he drink while you're out e.g. have a sippy cup in the buggy...
And the other if he's in the sling or buggy while out he'll be less active so more likely to get compression wicking I'd guess...
Do you use the same nappies out and about as you do in the house?

I did think compression alright (actually thought I'd written that in my post, but must have edited it out whilst I was deciding what to write :roll: :lol: ). I was using the same nappies as when we're at home, but have recently switched to pockets as I find them easier when out and about, they don't seem as bad, strangely.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:36 pm

Mareth - we used to get compression wicking in the sling so I now use a wool soaker with longies/skirtie over the top. Otherwise I end up with a wet back! :roll: :giggle:

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat