hf1

Nappy changes

My avatar
rachyrach
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Nappy changes

Postby rachyrach » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:11 pm

Gosh, that all sounds terribly familiar....am relieved to say it does pass as Hannah got so bad I dreaded nappy changes and the frustration sometimes made me cry! :cry:
How silly was I!! :oops:
Playing with the wipes helped for a little while until she worked out how to open the packet then she would suddenly morph into andrex puppy and there would be wipes everywhere, and then she would suck the moisture of them. Pots of cream or moisturiser worked until she worked out how to open them....books, toys, tried them all.

Wish I had seen Annettes suggestion!

Hope you find a solution.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:22 pm

We have a selection of toys which Bella isn't usually allowed. We give her one to play with whilst her nappy is changed, and then put it back in it's hiding place until the next time. This means the toy is always "fresh" and she won't get bored of it, like her other toys - why would they be a distraction whilst her bum is being changed if she can always get at them?

My avatar
clumsymumsy
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby clumsymumsy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:40 pm

Hand her something interesting (usu. works best if it's a grown-up item) then speed-change.
Sometimes turning on the TV works for us.
Changing on the floor is def. easier for us cause I can sandwich DD's legs in between my knees.
If all else fails I just keep putting DD back into nappy change position, trying not to get annoyed with her. She knows what she's supposed to do now (14 mo old) but still tries to get away sometimes.
I just ordered the next size up in cloth, and went for velcro for the first time. Too bad I can't velcro DD's trousers onto her bum, she is usually wandering round the house in various states of dress with me chasing after her...

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:40 pm

tanya2007 wrote:We have a selection of toys which Bella isn't usually allowed. We give her one to play with whilst her nappy is changed, and then put it back in it's hiding place until the next time. This means the toy is always "fresh" and she won't get bored of it, like her other toys - why would they be a distraction whilst her bum is being changed if she can always get at them?

How clever!

My avatar
Cherylw
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Cherylw » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 am

I have a botty buddy on Charls changing mat which is a godsend!

She is really into turning over all the time and trying to crawl off - but the botty buddy keeps her in place and the attached toys keep her entertained! Unless she realises she can reach the spray bottle for the wipes - thats her new all time favourite toy :giggle: :giggle:

I got mine from ebay for about £1.50 - absolute bargain!

http://www.komfikidz.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=267

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:07 pm

its amazing how every nappy change with a toddler can be a battle! :hug: i tried various distractions but the "Happy Biccie" seemed to work best. i know its probably a "bad mummy" thing but giving her a tiny bit of biscuit (the hipp organic sugar-free tiny animal ones are better for your conscience!) before i attempt the nappy changing process really makes the thing a while lot easier.

i figure its not really bribing (even though it kinda is :oops: ) if i give it to her before i start, or the frustration starts. even some fruit or rasins help. obviously the prob with giving food while theyre lying down also is a bit of a choking hazard so you've got to be careful! but if a toy they dont usually see works, then thats great! if your LO likes their reflection, give them a small mirror or shiny toy, tinfoil etc! sometimes a washable wipe soaked in water is a great distraction; Molly loves sucking on them!

also, using longies over fitteds helps as theres no wrap to deal with!

Gayle xx

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:49 pm

Annette wrote:We have a Rabbitt Mat which is a godsend, strap them in and it saves an awful lot of stress :D

I wish more places had Rabbitt Mat's I am fed up using changing tables with broken harnesses :gaah:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:53 pm

I just give Gracie something to distract her like a remote control or her hairbrush.

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:03 am

LOL my changing process sounds exactly the same except Lili usually screams and cries the entire time (how dare you restrict my movement!). I've heard the dedicated changing time toy idea before, I think it's a great idea - but Lili always ends up carrying the stuff out with her. Strapping them in sounds fabulous :lol:! It's basically just a matter of trying to find something that will distract them long enough for you to do what needs to be done - sometimes it works, sometimes you just need to pin them down and let them scream :-?. Iris might be a little young for it (though she might be amused by you blowing through it!), but Lili really likes a plastic whistle. Ripping up toilet paper and pulling wipes out of the box are also favorites, but what works one time never seems to work the next. I agree, it sucks!

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat