hf1

Nappy fabrics

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Nappy fabrics

Postby flutterby » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:42 am

The main fabrics are bamboo, cotton, hemp and microfibre, but these are then divided further, I'll try and explain as best I can

Bamboo
Bamboo terry, knit fabric with teeny loops, very silky when new, slimmer than cotton
Bamboo fleece, like sweatshirt fabric, jersey one side, fleecey to other, also very soft when new
Bamboo jersey, like t-shirt material
Bamboo velour knit fabric, smooth one side, shaved loops on the other, again so so soft

Cotton
Cotton terry, knit fabric with teeny loops
Cotton fleece, like sweatshirt fabric, jersey one side, fleecey to other
Cotton jersey, like t-shirt material
Cotton velour knit fabric, smooth one side, shaved loops on the other, very soft

Hemp
Hemp terry, knit fabric with teeny loops, stretchy
Hemp fleece, like sweatshirt fabric, jersey one side, fleecey to other
Hemp jersey, like t-shirt material

Microfibre
A manmade material very soft, very fluffy, and catches on dry skin (if youve felt it you'll know what I mean)

PROs and CONs

Bamboo
Slim, very absorbent, very soft, antibacterial, but takes an age to dry

Cotton
Not as soft, slim or absorbent as bamboo, but dries quite quickly

Hemp
Again very slim and absorbent, but not that soft and can go very stiff, dries a little quicker than bamboo, absorbs slowly so often needs something fast absorbing on top

microfibre
Stays soft, dries very quickly, quite bulky, and can squish out wee when compressed

My avatar
Laura2904
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: Nappy fabrics

Postby Laura2904 » Sun May 24, 2009 6:10 pm

OH my god you are TOTALLY right abuot the micro terry catching on dry skin. I have eczema on my hands and whenever i had to stuff.... :drama: LOL it's AWFUL blegh...

thanks for this I actually didn't know all of these were about so it's a big help :D

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Tue May 26, 2009 7:25 pm

I've been wondering, is there any way to tell bamboo and cotton velour apart? I've bought a few things preloved where the material wasn't specified, just curious!

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Tue May 26, 2009 10:02 pm

rhead wrote:I've been wondering, is there any way to tell bamboo and cotton velour apart? I've bought a few things preloved where the material wasn't specified, just curious!

I think with preloved it's very difficult, bamboo velour is certainly softer, but that obviously goes with time, and also there are a million and 1 different types of cotton velour, WNs is totally different to SBs, the tiny bird organic nappies I had from you were different again!

My avatar
Vicki
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Vicki » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:31 am

Does bamboo keep its antibatcerial properties once it is washed?? How does it do this?

Do you have any info on soy? I have bought some and a UD but there doesn't seem to be alot of info.

Thanks

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:51 am

nappywardrobe wrote:Does bamboo keep its antibatcerial properties once it is washed??
Yes I believe so but couldn't tell you how :?

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:35 pm

Doesn't really answer the question, but makes for an interesting read, :shock: :shock: :shock: at the antibacterial kill rate

The natural antibacterial properties of bamboo fabric come from an inherent quality of bamboo commonly called “bamboo kun.” Bamboo does not require the use of pesticides due to this natural antifungal antibacterial agent. It is rarely attacked by pests or infected by pathogen. The same natural substance that protects bamboo growing in the field, functions in the spun bamboo fibers

A quantitative antibacterial capability test was performed by the China Industrial Testing Center (CTITC) from July 7th 2003 thru July 11, 2003. One hundred percent Bamboo Fabric was tested over a 24-hour incubation period with bacterial strain type Staphylococcus aureous. After the 24-hour period the numbers of live bacteria were counted in each sample. The results showed that 100% bamboo fabric exhibits 99.8% antibacterial kill rate.

Taken from http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/01 ... eets_k.php

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:36 pm

nappywardrobe wrote:
Do you have any info on soy? I have bought some and a UD but there doesn't seem to be alot of info.

I don't really know much about soy, but can look into it!

My avatar
Vicki
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Vicki » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:42 pm

Wow that bamboo is scary!! Would love any info on the soy thanks :)

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat