hf1

Nighttime wool in the summer

My avatar
lollipoplizzie
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Nighttime wool in the summer

Postby lollipoplizzie » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:08 am

I'm using wool at night now with great success and DD currently wears either Disana pull on pants or a lovely pair of knitted pull ons with a short sleeve t.shirt, sleepsuit and 2.5 tog sleeping bag. What should I put her in for the summer? I'm thinking of getting a pair of custom shorties so that I can get them the exact shape that I want, but does the wrap count as a layer? Will she be boiled in wool when it's hot at night?

Thanks.

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Re: Nighttime wool in the summer

Postby beck » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:10 am

We use wool successfully in Summer here and we live Australia. Its a natural fibre so breathes very well.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:25 am

Wool is much cooler than PUL as it's not sweaty so you should be fine - it's only going to be over her nappy anyway (if a soaker or shorties) so wouldn't count as a layer...

My avatar
lollipoplizzie
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby lollipoplizzie » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:46 am

Thanks ladies. What do babies wear in the summer, would it be just a 1 tog bag and a sleepsuit?

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:55 am

Gracie will just be in nappy, shorties and a non poppered vest, now she wears the same but with a pj top and a light blanket, our house is warm so we never have radiators on in the bedrooms. x

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:56 pm

Wool is great and helps keep your LO warm in winter and cool in summer. Katie usually wears a t-shirt and shorties/soaker over her nappy and then just has a sheet, blanket or grobag over that depending how hot it is.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:07 pm

i use wool all year round too (although my mum is horrified and thinks Molly will be far too warm wearing wool) as it is so breathable; more breathable than PUL anyway! there is a packaging company that now uses wool as insulation to keep stuff cold!

shorties or a soaker are probably better than longies in the summer, and could be worn with just a t-shirt on top if its warm enough in the room. :D

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:12 pm

lollipoplizzie wrote:Thanks ladies. What do babies wear in the summer, would it be just a 1 tog bag and a sleepsuit?
It honestly depends how warm it is and how warm it gets in your house and how your baby copes with the heat...

Isabelle often had no covers at all in the first summer she was born as it was so warm - or just a sheet... And occasionally was in just a nappy... Certainly a 1tog bag was faaaar to hot on her!
When it's warm I'd say a vest or t-shirt and a sheet...

My avatar
lollipoplizzie
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby lollipoplizzie » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:20 pm

I hope it's a nice warm summer, but being my first I do have an unhealthy worry about her getting too hot! I am sure I shall start being less neurotic in ohhhhh about 10 years! :lol: I'm still building up the courage to put her in her own room, she'll be 6 months on Sunday so I know people will think I'm barmy if I don't do it soon.

I'm loving my two woollies, definitely thinking that I can save up to get some special ones made. I've heard of flower pot tots and pixie knits, is there anywhere else that does customs?

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat