hf1

I have a head ache... HELP!!!

My avatar
diz
Clothie
Clothie

I have a head ache... HELP!!!

Postby diz » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:32 am

O.K.... i'm new to all this cloth nappy malarky. Not expecting my first until September, but starting to collect little bit and bobs now.

I've always wanted to use cloth nappys but never thought that there would be so, so, so much choice (its great if you know what your doing!).

I don't want to just purchase a pack of baby to toddler nappys, just incase they are rubbish, so i was thinking about ordering a selection of nappys from a number of different manufactures in a couple of different styles to see what worked best for me and the babe.... But i could do with some help!!!!

Firstly, how many should i purchase..? I dont mind doing a load halfway through the day to save having to purchase 12 newborn Nappys, but i will if that's what's best then that is what i will do. I was thinking that i would be able to gage what works best for us both by the end of the first week, and then i would order a few more of the ones i really liked.

I have decided on these so far...
Swaddlebees OV .... What liner would be best?
Wee Notions, Bamboo Northern lights with a PUL inner cuddlesoft wrap
Night Notions What inner is best?

And thats all i've come up with :oops:

Help :x :D

My avatar
littlehayley
Clothie
Clothie

Re: I have a head ache... HELP!!!

Postby littlehayley » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:11 am

diz wrote: I dont mind doing a load halfway through the day to save having to purchase 12 newborn Nappys, but i will if that's what's best then that is what i will do. I was thinking that i would be able to gage what works best for us both by the end of the first week, and then i would order a few more of the ones i really liked.
Help :x :D

One thing that struck me from this post is how you're going to have time/inclination to do a nappy wash half way through every day with a newborn baby. Personally, I would rather have a few extra nappies and be able to take each day as it comes than have to worry about whether the nappies are washed and dried. Newborns need changing lots of times per day (maybe 10 or more!) so 12 nappies aren't going to last long. I can't see how you'd possibly manage with any less. Just thinking back to when Elliot was tiny, and it feels like all I did was breastfeed and change nappies in a constant rotation! :)

Do you know anyone who has used cloth nappies with a newborn? Just thinking that it might be possible to borrow some nappies of a few different types to bulk out your stash and find out what you like before purchasing loads.

Hayley

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:19 am

HI hun

We have a very small stash of nappies - roughly around 17. I have 5 little lambs size 1 and 12 wonderoos one size (6 of microfibre and 6 hemp- the inserts come in2 parts, a smaller for NB and a larger bit - and I put a large hemp with a smaller microfibre in los nappies as she's got older, but as NB I just used smaller microfibre and hemp). Lo is 7 1/2 mths and the little lambs still fit and the wonderoos have been out most reliable nappy.We're recently discovered we're expecting number 2, so will probably use more wonderoos and LLs size 1. I wont bother getting the size 2 little lambs as lo is starting to undo velcro, so she'll stick with wonderoos which have poppers.

HTH hun

Chelle x

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:25 am

I agree with Hayley - buy a few extra so u can wash every other day. We washed everyday but we had a tumble dryer at the time, so that helped. NB's can be very tiring hun, so I'd be inclined to get a good amount to wash every other day - thats what we'll be doing with 2 lo's!
Check out ebay for some bargains, then if u dont like it u haven't wasted loads of money.

Oh and just be careful as we bought a night notion and it did not suit lo's shape at all - so maybe just try one rather than buying a weeks supply. :)

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:33 am

I would say you don't necessarily need newborn nappies, whilst they are nice to have, if you don't want to spend lots of money on NB nappies, why not buy say 6 NB nappies, we found bumgenius fitted really well from birth, but will fit till PT so great value IMO!!

You can use whatever liners you like, I prefer minkee to fleece, but rarely use liners anyway!

I have a small NL that still fits LO now at 8 months so they are good value for a small nappy!

My avatar
diz
Clothie
Clothie

Postby diz » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:39 am

O.K, so forget the bit about doing a load of washing in the day. I still need some other helpful info. Hayley, do you have any make and designs suggestions..?

Chelle, thanks for your info. I have been scouting ebay and the classifieds on here and have enquired about a few items. I will continue to keep my eyes peeled!!!

Anyone have any info on the following? Unfortunately i do not know anyone who has used reusables so i can't borrow any to try.

Thanks

diz wrote:I have decided on these so far...
Swaddlebees OV .... What liner would be best?
Wee Notions, Bamboo Northern lights with a PUL inner cuddlesoft wrap
Night Notions What inner is best?

And thats all i've come up with :oops:

My avatar
diz
Clothie
Clothie

Postby diz » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:42 am

flutterby wrote:I would say you don't necessarily need newborn nappies, whilst they are nice to have, if you don't want to spend lots of money on NB nappies, why not buy say 6 NB nappies, we found bumgenius fitted really well from birth, but will fit till PT so great value IMO!!

You can use whatever liners you like, I prefer minkee to fleece, but rarely use liners anyway!

I have a small NL that still fits LO now at 8 months so they are good value for a small nappy!

Thanks Flutterby, Its good to know about not necessarily needing NB stuff. I'll have a look for some bumgenius. Also, thank you for the info regarding liners!!!

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:47 am

With the night notion inners I normally go for fleece, it's nice to have a stay dry layer in a night nappy I Think, though my last has cuddlesoft, it's just sooo soft and silky!!

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:31 pm

Id agree with Hanna; newborn nappies are lovely, and trim on a tiny baby, but you could get away with 6 or so, as long as you have more size ones or BTP nappies to keep you going. newborn nappies only fit a month or two anyway. you'll need at least 20 nappies, but a mix of newborn, size ones and BTP will do. Or if you can get newborn nappies preloved, thats better too as theyre usually in great condition and good value!

-Swaddlebees OV are adorable but theyre not very absorbent and theyre very expensive. cute to have, but dont buy loads!
- Diddy Diapers and bimbles are good; and they dont break the bank either. check out the easy peasy website for coloured ones, or else several other sites sell them and you can often get them preloved!
- id recommend bumgenius too!
- and weenotions onesize!
- Flexitots are good too.

how will you be drying your nappies? if you have a tumbledryer, thats useful but its best not to use it too much if you can help it! but some nappies take ages to dry. what about your DP? they can get very confused if you get lots of different types of nappies, and are less likely to be enthusiastic about washable nappies if thye have no idea why there are so many different ones! :giggle:

you've got lots of time yet to decide! so have a good browse around, read lots of recommendations and reviews and you'll soon have a "Must-Have" list!
Gayle xx

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat