hf1

Please help me decide what to buy!

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Please help me decide what to buy!

Postby JennyPenny » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:44 am

Hello. I have sold lots of stuff in the last few days and can finally invest into making sure we have everything we need.

Will tell you a bit about our situation and what we have got, although I am sure you have seen my many other posts :oops: .
As you can see from tickers my daughter is 14 months and I am expecting a second girl next month. (or anyday now as been told she might be early! :shock: ). Elouise is fine in the daytime, is a bit of a heavy wetter I think but nothing major BUT she seems to hold everything for night times and we are looking into options for night time for her as we are yet to find anything cloth that works for us. For the newborn, I don't really know what to expect as with Elouise I had prefolds and just had poo everywhere at every nappy change! And it was a new wrap at every change because of the poo leaks (breastfed as with this one be).

I can't really make up my mind what I like best, shaped nappies or pockets and change my mind everyday! :oops:

We have:
Onsize pockets:
4 BG
1 BBOS pul
4ish mommys touch
about 5 other ones, can't remember which as there are 1 of each.

WNNN
2 minki pockets

About 20 MEOS
Lots of other shaped nappies but I think we are going to sell as many as possible.

Newborn:
some small and XS sandys (not sure how many of each but about 15 in total).
8 brand new lollipop size 1
2 tots bots size 1
2 nature babies wraps - on their way
4ish tots bots size 0
about 10 verious basic nipper nappies
abot 10-20 shaped terries with sewn on velcro IF I can find them in the loft!
Brand new pair of longies
brand new wool wrap

Plenty of washable wipes, mesh bags etc.

Inserts:
5 Pettis dessous
2 BBOS combo
tonnes of MF ones
5 easy peasy hemp on the way

Tonnes of prefolds but they only thing I have found them good for is a nappy mat for nappy free time!

Wool wrap and short skirtie thing for Elouise - brand new.

Anyway, I HATE big bums, espeically on newborns so want something trim fitting - was hoping the pockets might be ok for this? And we need something small and easy to use when out and about or when somebody else is doing nappy changes.

I don't know what is best to spend the money on! The night nappies for Elouise are a priority but then I might find that once we have some good inserts that we can use the minki pockets or WNNN that we have. Will 5 hemp and 5 bamboo inserts be enough or should I order some more?

Is there anywhere I can get an upsey daisy night nappy in large? I have looked on all the preloved websites? Can I buy one new anywhere?

Do you think I have a good combination of stuff for the newborn? I don't really know what to expect or what I would need. It wasn't long ago I had a newborn but I have already forgotten so much! I don't want her to get here and then wonder why i have all the wrong stuff!

And half tempted just to buy a load more of onesize pockets so that I can just use them for both babies in the day and not have to worry about much else. BUT then I think I will be disapointed if my wool doesn't get used!

I also want to be able to use my woolies, will my MEOS be ok under wool in the day? What about sandys for newborn?

Thank you and so sorry it is such a long thread!

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Please help me decide what to buy!

Postby Frances » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:55 am

Hi, will try to do proper post when I have chance, but you can buy a large Upsy Daisy night nappy directly from Upsy Daisy: http://www.upsydaisynappies.com/

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby JennyPenny » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:33 am

Great thank you. I am ordering one now. It is quite confusing! How do I decide what materials etc would be best?

"The absorbent layers available are; organic hemp fleece, the super slim bamboo french terry or the incredibly absorbent soy french terry."
The bamboo seems to be out of stock so it is between soy terry and hemp fleece - will the hemp be more absorbant?

And then I need to decide the same for the booster if I order one (I guess it is better to go for it and order one?) - What would be most absorbant.

And do I need to order side snap if it is to go under wool? She is VERY wriggly at nappy changes so non faff is usually priorty but haven't used wool before so not sure? We manage with poppers on MEOS etc though.

Sorry for so many questions! It is SO confusing!

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:39 pm

I'd guess that hemp is more absorbent but isn't good for hard water areas as it makes the nappy go quite stiff, I've heard.

I'd recommend a front fastening nappy - I find it far more adjustable than side snaps.

If they still offer the additional booster I'd definitely recommend that, I got one with both of mine (which I bought second hand) and we hardly need any additional boosting with my heavy wetter.

PS. I'd get a bamboo booster as hemp is very slow to absorb so isn't suitable as the top layer of the insert, if that makes sense.

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby JennyPenny » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:18 pm

The bamboo is out of stock!

The only fastening they are offering are apllix or side snap - Are you saying applix would be better? Is it ok under wool?

Sorry - I find this all so confusing!

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:27 pm

I think both will be fine under wool, but I find the front-fastening (aplix) better personally; I get a much better fit on my daughter.

It might be worth emailing Fiona to check if/when she's expecting bamboo back in stock. Otherwise you could order hemp, then top off the booster with a bamboo insert directly under the fleece to provide a fast-absorbing layer.

Happy to help :)

EDIT: I don't know what the soy terry is like; I've heard mixed reviews. Might be worth trying it for the booster, and getting hemp for the outer.

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby JennyPenny » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:51 pm

Thank you - I have just emailed her now. Do you know how long they usually take to get back to you?

We do have hard water here so might make the hemp go very hard I guess. I do have a tumble dryer but I don't like to use it unless I really need to but can if that is the only option.

Thank you so much for your help.

Wool is soaking in lanolin now so hopefully will have that ready before I get the UDNN! yay!

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:53 pm

Fiona is usually very quick to reply. Perhaps you could give the hemp an occasional tumble to help keep it soft. I love my UD NN; hope they work well for Elouise!

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby JennyPenny » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:53 pm

Can I ask what you have? What materials, fastenings etc in yours? Just out of interest. If you don't mind me asking.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat