hf1

Giving up on pockets - help!

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Giving up on pockets - help!

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:02 pm

I am well and truly fed up!!! I'm seriously considering disposibles!
My wonderoos are now leaking at the legs, WNOS leak everywhere and my brand new ittis dont even last 2hrs - lo was soaked this morning!
I have some tots bots, but have to boost them with hemp under the m/f tongue, even then they only last 2.5hrs.

Any suggestions??? Am using minky huggles boosted with hemp and m/f with a wool wrap at night, and so far soo good. I wouldn't mind using wool full time, am not bothered about what the nappy looks like so long as it works - and I dont want to spend a fortune per nappy.

Gutted, thought I had is sussed and have spent a fortune on different boosters and my heavy wetter seems to out-pee everything!!!

Help!!!

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Giving up on pockets - help!

Postby tanya » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:13 pm

I have just changed my entire stash from pockets to fitteds for exactly the same reasons. My DD is a very heavy wetter.

Nappies we get on well with now are Jimmy Riddles, Hollow and Fluff and Stuff. Whilst not the cheapest nappies on the market, most of them have been second hand and I have been paying an average of £7-8 per nappy, which isn't too bad. We now have nappies which can last 4 hours easily. We also have some kiwi quick flips, which are ok, but don't last as long, maybe 3 hours if we are lucky.

We use wool full time now as well.

And I didn't once consider switching to disposables. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with using them, they have their uses, but they stink and make me feel sick. I love my DDs big, squishy cloth bum :)

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:27 pm

LOL I dont think I'd got to sposies, just ranting and v frustrating when I've tried every combination!!
Will check out those u mentioned. Do they take longer to dry? We dont have a tumble dryer yet so I'll prob need a few spares!

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:35 pm

Drying them is the major problem we have had with them. Even in a tumbledryer they take 3-4hours to dry :shock: (on low heat). I've just bought some more so we can hang them out to dry.

I'd suggest you look for nappies which either fold out (like quick flips) or where most of the absorbancy comes from boosters, so the nappy can be taken apart to dry and hence should dry quicker.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:55 pm

I've already told you what I think but I wanted to send some :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
nikkib
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby nikkib » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:06 pm

we don't get on with pockets either and find tots to be very thin and unabsorbent nappies... but we get on very well with Clwt Twts, weenotions northern lights, FF, jimmy riddles, hollow oak and most wahm fitteds to be honest. Jamie is in wool most of the time with them and we very rarely have any leaks even when he drinks pints! a tots or a pocket wouldn't last him at all though!

I say try some different fitteds, preferably wahm ones as they tend to be more reliable...

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:42 pm

I've found I have a very heavy wetter and tbh barely use the pockets in our collection (did I use them in 2009, or just 2008?) There are sometimes we get really heavy wetting episodes for no apparent reason, then within a week they are over again.

We always have an standby easy peasy boosters, bamboo squares etc to add to any fitted just incase and don't have a drier either.

My avatar
worcestercat
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby worcestercat » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:50 pm

tanya2007 wrote:I have just changed my entire stash from pockets to fitteds for exactly the same reasons. My DD is a very heavy wetter.

Nappies we get on well with now are Jimmy Riddles, Hollow and Fluff and Stuff. Whilst not the cheapest nappies on the market, most of them have been second hand and I have been paying an average of £7-8 per nappy, which isn't too bad. We now have nappies which can last 4 hours easily. We also have some kiwi quick flips, which are ok, but don't last as long, maybe 3 hours if we are lucky.

We use wool full time now as well.

And I didn't once consider switching to disposables. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with using them, they have their uses, but they stink and make me feel sick. I love my DDs big, squishy cloth bum :)

I think they stink too :giggle:
I don't have a particularly heavy wetter for a little one but I have found totsbots cotton nappies to be particularly absorbent (like when I forgot to change it and put her to bed to sleep in it all night which was a total of over 14 hours without a single leak :oops: but :wine: for the nappy! ) and they dry overnight on the radiator. They have a fold out flap and require a wrap and Mother Ease are the best for reliability I think. The bad news is... I think Tots bots have stopped doing the exact version I have but they do an organic version which looks very similar. They don't seem to do a 'nippa version but personally I might go for the popper version and use a nippa over it (if possible) to get a better, snug fit. http://www.totsbots.com/nappies/range/original-tots/
If you want prettiness then there are some great wraps out there too!

Have a :hug: and don't give up! :babyroll:

My avatar
clumsymumsy
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby clumsymumsy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:43 pm

I always have problems getting enough stuffing in pockets, too! :( I used to always be worried about how long a nappy would last when we are out and would add tons and tons of padding till DD could barely walk! (exaggeration...sort of) :wink:

I know it sounds illogical, but recently I went from more stuffing, to less. It actually solved our problems! DD is 15 months old so holds the wee for a couple of hours then lets it all go at once. Before, I was changing her like she was a newborn (who is weeing constantly). Every x hours. But toddlers need to be changed when they are wet, not on a schedule.

Recently I started paying attention to when she is weeing (it is actually very easy to tell, they will stop what they are doing, possibly squat down with a concentrated expression, then stand back up and continue their play again). I also realized DD often cries or comes up to me after her diaper gets wet/dirtied, ESPECIALLY when she is uncomfortably wet, ie very LITTLE padding. And since the weather is warmer now I could get rid of the vest which makes it very easy to check if the diaper is wet or not.

Basically, in the past, I would sometimes change her, she was nearly dry (how irritating!) and then she would wee straight away into the new diaper, I didn't notice, then she would be soaked and might leak before the next change was scheduled.

Now I change her every 1-2 wees (depending on time of day and how much she's had to drink, how much padding there is, etc). She might occasionally get a diaper to last 4 hours in the afternoon but normally she get changed every 2-3 hours, maybe more often in the morning and evening. The advantage is that I don't have to use tons of extra padding "just in case", because I have some idea of how wet DD is. I know it wouldn't work for everybody but it is what we are doing! :D

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat