hf1

would you expect a wet nappy to last 4 hours?

My avatar
clumsymumsy
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

would you expect a wet nappy to last 4 hours?

Postby clumsymumsy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:50 pm

This came up on another post I just read. Obviously we would not leave a dirty nappy on for very long (too smelly!) but what about if nappy is just wet?
I remember reading somewhere (probably 15 months ago with my first nappy order! :hohoho: ) that a cloth nappy should be changed every 2-3 hours. Mine would never make it 4 hours most of the time. I thought the 4 hour rule applied more to disposables?
Or is that just the magic number in day cares? Even a disposable is kind of gross after 4 hours, that smell of a wet disposable... :babyrolleyes:

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: would you expect a wet nappy to last 4 hours?

Postby anya1973 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:57 pm

I only change Cole every four hours or so. We use pocket nappies. He tends to have a 2-3 hour sleep in the morning though so no chance to change him until he wakes up but I usually wait until after he's had his lunch as he usually wakes up starving. :lol:

Obviously if he was dirty then I would change him first.

The thing to remember is all babies are different and wee in different amounts/ways. The longest he's ever worn a nappy (during the day) was 7 hours!! He had a mammoth sleep that day as had been unwell. :shock: The nappy was only stuffed with my usual insert combo but it held up fine despite the extra three hours. :wine:

Helen xx

PS He goes all night over 12 hours without a change too but I use hemp and bamboo at night.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:01 pm

Kaie isn't particularly a very heavy wetter so I would say most of her nappies would be ok for 4 hours athough I usually change her after 2-3.

My avatar
sophie2198
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby sophie2198 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:04 pm

I expect 3 hours out of a cloth nappy , any less then i wouldnt use it as cant be faffing about changing a 21 month old busy toddler every 2 hours - he'd go nuts! :wink:

Normal change routine for us is:

7am - out of night nappy into fresh nappy , normally a BBSS no extra boosting as he poo's at about 10am!

10am ish - change dirty nappy put a nice show off nappy on for the morning (even thiugh theres no one to show off to but me!)

1pm - change into a fitted & wrap for sleep as pockets cannot cope with his naptime

4-5pm (normally another poo around this time) change into another showoff nappy for the afternoon

6.30pm change into night nappy

xx

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:12 pm

i normally change about every 3 hrs

7am- usually pocket as does a poo after breakfast usually an old funky
about 8 pocket bbss or wnss
10- fitted and wrap for sleep then lunch
1pm if wearing wool fitted if not pocket
3-4 change as above
6 night nappy until am

obviosly this varies if we get an extra afternoon poop :hohoho:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:13 pm

I normally change every 2-3 hours but Gracie had a mammoth sleep the other day and had one of her FF's on and it easily lasted 4 hours, it was wet but not soaked and her longies were bone dry

My avatar
Pippa
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Pippa » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:17 pm

I change every 2 - 3 hours for wee's. But we still have b/f poo's all the time, so usually more often than that :roll: Although, as we have started solids and some formula top up, I would say he is poo'ing a bit less.

My avatar
pookie3101
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby pookie3101 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:15 am

Other than night nappy obviously I have left the odd one on for 4 hours or longer but generally would change after 3 hours regardless. i woud do the same with a sposie too - I hate the sposie almost dangling on the floor look.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:21 am

I usually change every 3 hours, but like the security of knowing a nappy would last 4 hours or more if needed. I hated the faffing about that was required with mandatory 2 hour changes when she was in pockets (they leaked, badly, after that).

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat