hf1

cloth and chemo?

My avatar
Lora1984
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

cloth and chemo?

Postby Lora1984 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:42 pm

ok long shot but id like your thoughts, as some of you may know Ryders not long finished 6mths of chemo we did use cloth as much as possible when he was at home, but were advised that for the first 7 days post each cycle was best to use disposables, the more i think the more i feel guilty, the reason for this was hos the levels of toxicity where high for that time period, was same with vomit, urine and faeces, had to wear gloves to change hoim and mop up any bodily fluid etc. stuff had to be washed then the cycle through on a short cycle to clear the wahser, but i keep thinking of the dispicables sat in landfill, am i being irrational? we spent huge amounts of time in hossie due to side effect and effects of chemo so i know i couldnt have gotten round this at them times, whats your thoughts ladies? theres a chance he will need more chemo as his tumours still there and hasnt got the appearance of dead tissue it should have etc, so id like to see thoughts and opinions on this????

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: cloth and chemo?

Postby flutterby » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:46 pm

I think there is a place for disposables, and this is one of them, you have soo much to thinkj about already, and you really shouldn't feel guilty! :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:49 pm

You have to do what is right at the time :hug: I don't know anything about chemo / bodily fluids but it sounds to me like you were advised to be super careful and that included using disps.

If you really want to (I know I would too) use cloth through the hard days perhaps buy something cheap which you can wash at 95 degrees just incase. Most nappies are not recommended to go that hot, but cotton terry squares would probably be the best option.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

All of us, even 100% dedicated cloth users have some nappies sat in landfill (mine are from a couple of days in an incubator and then a 2 week holiday)

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:51 pm

flutterby wrote:I think there is a place for disposables, and this is one of them, you have soo much to thinkj about already, and you really shouldn't feel guilty! :hug: :hug: :hug:

What Hanna said :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Lora1984
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Lora1984 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:51 pm

just thinking i guess!! its lovely to be bk in cloth!! so nice iv got several fluffy parcels en route!! lol we did go to his EUA vat birmingham childrens in dec wearing the santa nappy, lol

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:09 pm

I agree with what PPs have said about there being a place for dispicables. Annette's idea of terry squares is a good alternative though.

My avatar
pookie3101
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby pookie3101 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:17 pm

this is where sposies have there place. & there is no need to feel guilty as you have enough to deal with. My dd Amy had chemo & cloth was a huge no no then as they wanted everything treated as chemical waste & we had to wear gloves too.

In some ways cloth would have been easier as it is easier to tell if a nappy is wet etc but they have to think about the toxicity issues & it's easier for a sposie to be dealt with.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:20 pm

no need to feel guilty hun, I think there has been a place for dispodables for most of us at some point, we had to put Gracie in them when she was in hospital with d&v bug and she will probably been in some for a bit on our 2 week summer hols. Hope you lo starts to get better soon, sounds like a tough time for you all :hug:

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:40 pm

I agree with Hanna. Mainly just wanted to send a few :hug: - sounds like it's been a tough time.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat