hf1

are reusables definitly more enviromentally friendly

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

are reusables definitly more enviromentally friendly

Postby babyjjbaby » Mon May 04, 2009 12:29 pm

hiya not looking to upset or cause arguments i am just curious is there any eveidence that reusables are more enviromentally friendly than disposibles. not that it would make any differnce to me as i love cloth but obvisly cloth doesn't go into landfill but would you say it uses more water i don't tumble dry any o fmy nappies so drying isn't a problem even tho i have caught my ma ironing the sqaures a few times lol :roll: talk bout making work for urself lol but i was thinking that with doing pre washes and extra rinses doe sit actual use less water hence being good for the enviroment or can you wash the without rinses and prewash any one done this?

My avatar
afterglow
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: are reusables definitly more enviromentally friendly

Postby afterglow » Mon May 04, 2009 12:36 pm

Yes!

http://randd.defra.gov.uk/Document.aspx ... 89_FRP.pdf - heavy reading but it gives stacks of details about things like water - you need to bear in mind that it takes a lot of water to make disposables too.

Anyway, ask your ma to stop ironing them! As long as you always wash with a fuller load, use an A rated machine if possible and only tumble dry when you absolutely need to, you're looking at a carbon footprint of up to 40% less than with disposables (see the summary at the end of the report).

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Mon May 04, 2009 1:00 pm

thansk i will read that now very rarley she ireons teh nappies lol so not very often bout 3 times i caught her lol not sure bout washign as i use a table top washign machine which uses bout 40 litres of water each time or teh laundrette

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Mon May 04, 2009 1:56 pm

well that was well worth reading thanks for the link so basically if you wash every 3 days wash below 60c don't tumble dry and reuse them for more than one child it is 40% better than using disposibles

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Mon May 04, 2009 1:59 pm

but i am still not sure how much better it is if you wash below 60c line dry and wash less often by having more nappies but not reusing them for a 2nd child hmm

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Little Pants » Mon May 04, 2009 2:20 pm

It's also well worth getting some ecoballs. These are amazingly efficient if used the right way - long wash programme, not too full a load, add 15 mls Ecover laundry bleach for stain removal, add a magnoball if you're in a hard water area, and don't rinse at all! This means no powder (so no powder build up in your nappies either) and 1/4 the amount of water you would use if you need to rinse!

They are just amazing! My washing's much cleaner after washing with eco-balls than it ever was using powder! And everything comes out soft as well!

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Mon May 04, 2009 3:57 pm

hiya i do use eco balls and a magno ball but can't say they work very well with nappies or if the clothes are veyr dirty its ok if the clothes have only got one or two stains on as u can just use a bit of fairy soap which i find far better than vanish or stuff where do you get ecover laundry bleach from our asda doesn't do it i want to look for somethign like napisan but eco friendly as surely it would be more eco to use a bit of napisan and do a 30c wash instead of no napisan and a 60c wash ? and i must admit i have never figured out how to cut out the rinse on my mums washign machine but in my little washign machine i still have to rinse it but i don't have to keep using a bucket of clean rinsing water with the eco balss iyswim

My avatar
afterglow
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby afterglow » Mon May 04, 2009 4:45 pm

I won't be using my nappies again on a second child of my own, but do sell or pass them on so they get another life with someone else.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Mon May 04, 2009 8:39 pm

Not too sure if the reports actually go to bringing the nappies home from the supermarket or the rubbish cart taking them away to landfill again.

I thought his link was really interesting about washing everything in general viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17544

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat