hf1

Washing my pockets???

My avatar
Jenni&Babes
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Washing my pockets???

Postby Jenni&Babes » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:23 pm

I'm not sure how much powder I should be using?? I wash 7 nappies atm (all I have lol) but where it says use 1/4 of what you normally use - I have no idea if what I 'normally' use is correct iyswim lol?! I just scoop a random amount for my normal washing! :oops:

Is there a measurement I can go by like in tbsp's???

Also atm I'm just washing at 40 on the longest cycle with a prewash. Should I be doing a rinse first and is 40 ok? Should I do a 60 once a week or something?

Thanks in advance!

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:36 pm

hiya and welcome to the forum!!!!

Right then.....

I use powder tablets so it's easier for me to divide them up? :wink: however, on the powder box it should tell you how much to use (according to their recommendations :roll: ) just use a 1/4 of wht is stated on the box :wink:

40 is fine (in fact most pockets state 40 on the labels!) if he gets a tummy bug or the poops then wash at 60 to make certain sure you are killing germs.

You can do a random 60 wash every now and them if you like but it's not necessary!

Don't use fabric softener! Try not to tumble dry the pockets if you can avoid it as the heat in the dryer can wear out the pul (although apparently a tumble every now and then helps them to retain their waterproofness but I have never tumbled pockets and never needed to!)

hth

jan x

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:37 pm

oh...and I only pre-wash if they are particularly poopy ones in there! and then I just pre-wash to poop ones and add the rest in after the pre-wash for the normal wash!!

I don;t rinse any nappies anymore as I have to change 3 at once and can;t be bothered :wink: :lol:

jan x

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:28 am

Jan has given good advice there - it will be a case of looking on the side of the box. I too use tablets but can't be arsed to break them up so I always put one in but use a super rinse cycle to make sure it is all washed out.
I would just add that to make your washing more efficient, it is OK to wash with other stuff like towels and sheets. I always wait until we have a full load but with only 7 nappies you obviously can't do this - which means you neeeeeeed to get some more :wink:

My avatar
Jenni&Babes
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Jenni&Babes » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:38 am

Thanks girls! Wow Jan you must have nappies coming out your ears lol! My eldest Josh is still in disp pull-ups but I'm hoping he will train soon, one day, maybe lol! :roll: But if he doesn't he can share with Flynn once I have some more (I'm working on it and selling all I can on ebay to fund them lol) as they wear the same size! :shock:

Right I guess I should just look on the box hehe! I have washed the nappies with towels, bibs etc but with so few I'm having to wash them on their own too. I can't do them with my normal clothes because I HAVE to use softener because I love the smell on the clothes hehe!

I now have 8 I just realised and 2 more PB's on the way! :D

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:23 am

:D

yep my house is filled with nappies!!

From the ones we use to the ones we don't and are looking to sell!!!!

jan x

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:27 pm

Jenni,

I just wanted to add, I only use 1 tablespoon worth of powder (I measure it with a cooking but now washing scoop) On the side of the box if I use the recommended amount of powder it barely all fits into the drawer, so I use a concentrate powder scoop instead for normal washing and tried the lowest amount of powder which still got the nappies clean and at 1 tablespoon I have not yet had a problem with detergent build up. And the other stuff in the wash like towels if not 100% full with nappies also come out clean.

Also I eventually read through my washing machine manaul and it said to use less powder than recommended by the companies - it makes sense as I have to buy it less often :wink:

Annette

My avatar
Jenni&Babes
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Jenni&Babes » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:34 pm

Thanks hon. I looked on the box and am currently using about 1/4 what it recommends for my normal washing lol! It always comes clean though! So I'll try 1 tbsp for my nappies!

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:51 pm

Just goes to show how a little goes a long way :lol: I think its the manufacturers who are trying to make us use more than is actually needed so we have to buy it more often :wink:

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat