hf1

Do cloth nappies make it harder for LO to learn to sit up?

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Do cloth nappies make it harder for LO to learn to sit up?

Postby happytails » Mon May 25, 2009 9:39 am

My dp was propping our DD up and said that the nappy was making it hard for her to sit straight and it was digging in her belly. Now it was quite a padded night nappy as she sleeps through (my defense) but thinking about it, would a cloth nappy make it harder for them to sit / see their feet etc?

Sarah x

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Do cloth nappies make it harder for LO to learn to sit up?

Postby angelsquidge » Mon May 25, 2009 9:43 am

Neither of mine had a problem in sitting up!

2 months is very early to start worrying about them sitting anyway so I wouldn't start panicking just yet!

My son was in terries and wraps and he was still sitting up unaided by 4 months, as was my little girl (she was in less bulky pocket) around the same time.

I would always thought if anything, a cloth nappy would probably help and not hinder as it would offer some more lower back support?!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon May 25, 2009 9:48 am

Cloth didn't make any difference to Gracie.
2 months is very early to be sitting up so I wouldn't worry about it. x

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Mon May 25, 2009 9:56 am

No they don't. All 3 of mine were sitting before some of their sposie wearing friends.

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Mon May 25, 2009 10:00 am

Oh good.

She is 3 months on Tuesday and likes to be sat up watching everything around her - atleast i can reassure dp! :hug:

Sarah x

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby kt24 » Mon May 25, 2009 11:05 am

Both of mine where late sitters at about 7 months. Ds1 was in sposies at that point and ds2 in cloth, so I don't think the type of nappy made a difference. They just weren't interested in sitting. :D

My avatar
Steph
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Steph » Mon May 25, 2009 7:08 pm

Lexi sat before she was 5 months and she's never worn a sposie :D

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Mon May 25, 2009 7:10 pm

Naah. A 'sposie fastened as tightly would dig in just as much! I did start fastening the kids' nappies more loosely once they started sitting up tho as I know I hate having too-tight trousers on, lol...

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Mon May 25, 2009 8:17 pm

I always use the argument "terry nappies were the norm until very recently and no-one had difficulty learning to sit up when they had 4 terry squares fastened round their bum!" (my mum said i wee'd loads as a baby and had to put 4 on at night :shock: )

Molly was quite late at sitting up, rolling over etc; she just didnt have much interest. The sposie nappy companies try to "brainwash" parents into buying super-slim nappies so they can "mover around faster" but AFAIK that is mainly just an advertsing ploy. Babies will learn how to do everything they need to do, regardless of their nappy size!

Also, when they learn to walk those big fluffy nappies will make a nice cushioned landing for their little bums when they fall over 15 times a day. I wouldn't bum-jump onto a tiled floor without a cushion tied to my bum anyway.

Not that I've ever done that...

And as the others have said, your LO is still young enough to not worry anyway.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat